Embedding Open refine in another solution

Raj Janakarajan

May 28, 2014, 3:15:04 PM5/28/14
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Has any vendor or company embedded Open Refine in their platform?  I am wondering if the architecture allows for open refine to be integrated into a server type of environment.

Raj

Owen Stephens

May 29, 2014, 8:34:31 AM5/29/14
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Not a vendor or company, but the GOKb project (http://gokb.org) has integrated Open Refine into workflows for a centrally managed datastore. Refine acts as a locally installed client, and communicates with the central datastore. This is done via a Refine extension. The functionality includes:

Authentication built into Refine to only allow authorised users access to retrieve/update data in the central datastore
Ability to work on Refine files through a check-in/check-out mechanisms - allowing central storage of files and shared access to the same Refine projects
Data rules that validate data in Refine projects and post warnings/fixes in Refine for the user
Import of data from a Refine project into the central datastore - once data has been validated according to the data rules
Ability to lookup entities in the central data store for use in Refine

And probably other stuff I've missed out here :)

The work has all been done by a company called K-Int based in the UK (I work with them on several projects and think they do great work :). The code is available at https://github.com/k-int/gokb-phase1/tree/dev/refine but it is specific to the GOKb project so while there may be stuff you can take from there I'd say this is more to show what can be done rather than a project to take and run with.

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com
Email: ow...@ostephens.com
Telephone: 0121 288 6936

On 28 May 2014, at 20:15, Raj Janakarajan <r...@zephyrhealthinc.com> wrote:

Has any vendor or company embedded Open Refine in their platform?  I am wondering if the architecture allows for open refine to be integrated into a server type of environment.

Raj

Tom Morris

May 29, 2014, 9:49:28 AM5/29/14
to openr...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Raj Janakarajan <r...@zephyrhealthinc.com> wrote:
Has any vendor or company embedded Open Refine in their platform?  I am wondering if the architecture allows for open refine to be integrated into a server type of environment.

A number of people have done integration of OpenRefine with their systems at various degrees.  The OpenRefine server normally runs standalone on your desktop/laptop, but can be run in a servlet container as well.

If you've got questions or need help with a project like this, I'd suggest subscribing to openrefine-dev where folks can help you with any technical questions you have.

Some other examples of integrations include:
- the LODRefine repackaging/rebranding - https://github.com/sparkica/LODRefine
- a bunch of other stuff you can find linked from our Github org - https://github.com/OpenRefine

I've also done some commercial projects for folks, and know of some others, which aren't public, so there's been a variety of work in this space.

If you're interested in pursuing the discussion at a more technical level, let's move it to openrefine-dev.

Tom