Problem with: add column by fetching urls

Jenny

Dec 7, 2020, 12:50:19 PM12/7/20
to OpenRefine
I am extending my data and I want to do this with the option "add column by fetching urls"

I had created a reconciliation service and I want to get the data from the url.

I am trying to extend but I have no results. This is my expression:
2.PNG

I use the same to extend my data with wikidata:

I reconcile with wikidata but not with my other URL.
3.PNG

What is my "error"?

allana...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2020, 1:57:21 PM12/7/20
to OpenRefine
Hi - when I ran a test on this (using the formula "https://gida.irekia.euskadi.eus/es/people/" + value + ".json" to add a new column by fetching URLs, with four-digit numbers in the original column) I got the following error (you can set the operation to "store error"):

sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

In our new documentation we have these errors defined: https://docs.openrefine.org/manual/columnediting#common-errors

An error that includes “javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed” can occur when you try to retrieve information over HTTPS but the remote site is using a certificate not trusted by your local Java installation. You will need to make sure that the certificate, or (more likely) the root certificate, is trusted.

The list of trusted certificates is stored in an encrypted file called cacerts in your local Java installation. This can be read and updated by a tool called “keytool.” You can find directions on how to add a security certificate to the list of trusted certificates for a Java installation here and here.

Note that for Mac users and for Windows users with the OpenRefine installation with bundled JRE, the cacerts file within the OpenRefine application needs to be updated.

  • On Mac, it will look something like /Applications/OpenRefine.app/Contents/PlugIns/jdk1.8.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/security/cacerts.
  • On Windows: \server\target\jre\lib\security\.

I'm sorry the solution isn't easier but I think if you follow these steps you will be able to fetch data from the source. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Allana
Message has been deleted

Jenny

Dec 9, 2020, 10:59:02 PM12/9/20
to OpenRefine
Hi,
I followed the tutorial from the link: https://magicmonster.com/kb/prg/java/ssl/pkix_path_building_failed/. And even with the final step when I check with "java_cacerts.txt" the existence of my certificate, I can't reconcile.
5.PNG

My test with OpenRefine:
6.PNG
Just to show that the certificate has the same serial number with the one created
7.PNG

Am i missing a step? or where can I guide myself to see what other errors I may have?

Owen Stephens

Dec 10, 2020, 4:50:19 AM12/10/20
to OpenRefine
Hi Jenny,

If you now try to do the Fetch in OpenRefine and check the "Store error" option, what error do you see stored in the OpenRefine cells? Is it still the same one?

Best wishes

Owen

Tom Morris

Dec 10, 2020, 9:58:19 AM12/10/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com
What version of Java are you using? By far the easiest way to get new root CAs is to upgrade to a more recent Java that includes them already.

It looks like you added the cert for www.irekia.euskada.eus directly, but what you actually want is the certificate for the root certificate authority Izenpe.com. It represents the root of the chain of trust which will be followed. If you look in your browser, you should see a hierarchy of 3 certs with it at the root.

Tom

Message has been deleted

Jenny

Dec 11, 2020, 11:56:43 AM12/11/20
to OpenRefine
I get error:

sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

even though I already added the root certificate: Izenpe.com

Jenny

Dec 30, 2020, 12:34:45 PM12/30/20
to OpenRefine
I was able to fix it, I updated the java version and I was able to solve it

Thanks to all :)

Tom Morris

Dec 30, 2020, 8:56:17 PM12/30/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 12:34 PM Jenny <jennypere...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was able to fix it, I updated the java version and I was able to solve it

Thanks to all :)

 Great to hear! Happy New Year!

Tom