Projects vanished

Rolf Blijleven

May 19, 2022, 12:29:12 PM5/19/22
to OpenRefine
Hi all,

For the second time now, I've had some projects completely vanished. Undelete tools (recommended elsewhere in this group) found traces of one project's undo history but not the project data itself.

(Just for completeness, project data I think is data.zip, metadata.json and metadata.old.json in [workspacepath]\<projectnumber>.project and history is <historynumberserialnumber>.change.zip in [workspacepath]\<projectnumber>.project\history)

Now, for future prevention, I'll shorten the auto-save interval and move the workspace folder to Dropbox to have an extra safety net.

Does a short auto-save interfere with time-consuming operations?

I think the most plausible explanation for the accident is that I shut down the console while it was still doing something, thereby corrupting some admin. Is that a possibility? If so, I'm going to put in a feature request for a shutdown button. I have to suddenly drop what I'm doing lots of times.

I know I can force save by hitting ctrl-c in the console, but if you run openrefine.exe, it does not ask you anything, it does not say it's saving, it just terminates.

One cause I think I can rule out: I backed up three projects I had in OR under WSL, and imported them in OR under Windows. The next day, three other projects had disappeared. I'm assuming this is coincidence, not causality.

Any learned comments? I'll be much obliged.

Other than that, I have to say OpenRefine has very rapidly become one of my go-to tools. So, good on you!

Cheers
Rolf