Trouble installing NER extension

Mathieu Saby

Mar 16, 2019, 7:28:36 PM3/16/19
to OpenRefine
Hi
I wanted to try the NER extension, with the last changes made by stkenny https://github.com/stkenny/Refine-NER-Extension but I did not manage to compile it from source with maven (dependency issues etc). I don't really know Java so maybe I'm doing it wrong... Could stkenny (I did not find his email) or somebody else provide instructions?

M. Saby

Ettore Rizza

Mar 17, 2019, 5:48:03 AM3/17/19
to OpenRefine
I cannot compile it either (Maven errors on Windows). Note: the answer to this other question may interest you.

Mathieu Saby

Mar 17, 2019, 5:50:52 AM3/17/19
to openr...@googlegroups.com

Thanks

with an interesting use case on his blog https://stkenny.github.io//semantic/mapping/2019/01/05/ner/

Mathieu

Stuart Kenny

Mar 17, 2019, 7:07:33 AM3/17/19
to OpenRefine
Hi, I'll update the install instructions, but the below works with JDK 8 and OpenRefine 3.1:

1. checkout the openrefine code

    cd OpenRefine
    git checkout 3.1

2. checkout the ner code to the extensions directory

3. edit the extensions pom.xml in extensions/pom.xml
    in the modules sections add the ner extension

        <module>pc-axis</module>
        <!-- Add new extensions here -->
        <module>ner</module>
     </modules>

 4. build OpenRefine
     ./refine build

That should be all. I've turned on the issues tab in the GitHub repository.

This won't work with OpenRefine 3.2, only 3.1.

Regards,
Stuart.

Stuart Kenny

Mar 17, 2019, 11:15:34 AM3/17/19
to OpenRefine
Or try the built version I've just uploaded to https://github.com/stkenny/Refine-NER-Extension/releases/tag/v1.5

Stuart.

Ettore RIZZA

Mar 17, 2019, 3:44:00 PM3/17/19
to openrefine
Thank you very much Stuart, the extension works like a charm for me!

screenshot-127.0.0.1-3333-2019.03.17-20-25-19.png

It's a great idea to have added a wrapper for StanfordNER.

If you plan to spend a few more hours on it (or if a Java developer wants to continue your work), here are two or three suggestions.

- Zemanta, Alchemy and Wikimeta are no longer available and can be removed from the menu. A good solution to replace them would be Rosette or possibly TextRazor (very effective, but offers only 500 free calls per day only, and its API uses POST queries a little more complex than those of Dandelion).

- When the named entity contains accented characters, like in French, the extension returns links URL encoded. But these links do not work. Something is wrong with the encoding. Compare the first URL (wrong) with the second (the right one) : :

That's all. Thanks again for this valuable job. Hoping that the JSON module issues that broke so many extensions will be fixed soon.

Ettore

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OpenRefine" group.

Ettore RIZZA

Mar 17, 2019, 3:50:25 PM3/17/19
to openrefine
PS: I just did a test using the Dandelion API WITHOUT the extension, and the JSON response correctly encodes Wikipedia URLs. So the encoding errors in French are probably added by the extension.

Ettore

Agnes Brauer

Nov 12, 2020, 10:01:14 AM11/12/20
to OpenRefine