OpenRefine won't open in browser

Teresa Yuan

Jul 15, 2016, 1:50:23 PM7/15/16
to OpenRefine
I'm trying to run 2.6 rc 2, but it won't load once the browser opens to 127.0.0.1:3333 and the UI hangs (see attachment). I've tried both IE and Chrome, but get the same problem on both.

I was able to open OpenRefine successfully the first time after downloading, but now I run into this problem. Any ideas on how to go about solving this? My proxy settings seem to look fine.

OpenRefine Error.png

Thad Guidry

Jul 15, 2016, 11:34:59 PM7/15/16
to openrefine
Things to try

Try editing the refine.ini file and uncommenting the IP and Port and giving some different value like 127.0.0.2:3334
Then run (not with openrefine.exe) with refine.bat
Does that work ?

Its also possible something regarding your Javascript settings is causing issue in Chrome.
Try resetting Chrome settings (Settings - Advanced - Reset Settings) ?
Try Firefox ?

Let us know results

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Teresa Yuan <tery...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm trying to run 2.6 rc 2, but it won't load once the browser opens to 127.0.0.1:3333 and the UI hangs (see attachment). I've tried both IE and Chrome, but get the same problem on both.

I was able to open OpenRefine successfully the first time after downloading, but now I run into this problem. Any ideas on how to go about solving this? My proxy settings seem to look fine.

Teresa Yuan

Jul 18, 2016, 11:39:12 AM7/18/16
to OpenRefine
The first method you described (changing the port value & then running with refine.bat) worked immediately.

Thanks!

Owen Stephens

Jul 18, 2016, 11:41:44 AM7/18/16
to OpenRefine
Glad this is sorted.

Since changing the port worked, then my guess is that you have some other software running that uses port 3333  - just a guess but that could explain why OpenRefine worked to start with, then stopped working, if the first time you ran it, the other software using 3333 wasn't running/installled.

As I say - just a guess!

Martin B

Feb 15, 2020, 6:56:58 PM2/15/20
to OpenRefine
I had the same issue and in my case it was OpenRefine that was blocking the port, hence why it worked successfully on the first attempt only. The solution was to kill the offending process.

I would advise others to try this first as my limited understanding of OR leads me to believe that changing the .ini file in the manner described could leave a machine vulnerable to malicious incoming connections.

For linux:
1) open a terminal and use 'top' to locate the 'java' process (hint: use shift-M to sort by memory)
2) hit 'k' to kill the process, provide the PID and hit enter.
3) use option '9' to ensure the process is killed.
4) cd back to the OR folder and run './refine' in the usual way.