history of operations is blank in every run

Yael Netzer

Feb 5, 2020, 3:07:50 PM2/5/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I started to work on a new dell / windows10 - and installed Version 3.3-rc1 [e62bb7a] - was surprised to find  my history is blank whenever I re-run openrefine .
Is it a bug or a feature defined somewhere?
Thanks
image.png

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Feb 5, 2020, 3:29:53 PM2/5/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yael,

That is curious! First I would recommend you to try out the final 3.3
version, since we just released it.
If that does not solve your issue, can you share your OpenRefine logs
(the white over black text in the terminal window)?

Thanks,
Antonin
> image.png
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine/CAPAg931%2BiY5GHChtxmU2HCOx4%3DA5hC79BS_Cf9Rh_8ZxZakZxQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine/CAPAg931%2BiY5GHChtxmU2HCOx4%3DA5hC79BS_Cf9Rh_8ZxZakZxQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Yael Netzer

Feb 12, 2020, 12:14:50 AM2/12/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the answer - a disaster again (and a real one, I am about to give a short workshop today on OpenRefine in a wintershcool and all of my data is missing...
I suppose it has to do with windows onedrive soft and hard links in OneDrive which I was not aware to.
Am I right?
The question is - where are my projects?!

Here is my log
07:05:50.518 [            refine_server] Starting Server bound to '127.0.0.1:3333' (0ms)
07:05:50.530 [            refine_server] Initializing context: '/' from 'C:\Users\yaeln\OneDrive\Desktop\openrefine-3.3\webapp' (12ms)
07:05:51.083 [            refine_server] Failed to use jdatapath to detect user data path: resorting to environment variables (553ms)
07:05:51.084 [            refine_server] Creating new workspace directory C:\Users\yaeln\AppData\Roaming\OpenRefine (1ms)
07:05:51.084 [            refine_server] Failed to use jdatapath to detect user data path: resorting to environment variables (0ms)
SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Users/yaeln/OneDrive/Desktop/openrefine-3.3/server/target/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.18.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Users/yaeln/OneDrive/Desktop/openrefine-3.3/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.18.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory]
07:05:51.291 [                   refine] Starting OpenRefine 3.3 [58b839b]... (207ms)
07:05:51.291 [                   refine] initializing FileProjectManager with dir (0ms)
07:05:51.292 [                   refine] C:\Users\yaeln\AppData\Roaming\OpenRefine (1ms)
07:05:51.301 [       FileProjectManager] Failed to load workspace from any attempted alternatives. (9ms)
07:05:57

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine/c07bbbf8-9022-0536-9233-3fd85cd9e27f%40antonin.delpeuch.eu.

Thad Guidry

Feb 12, 2020, 9:36:10 AM2/12/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Your workspace will be in either:

%appdata\%\OpenRefine
%localappdata%\OpenRefine

But it created a new workspace in AppData
07:05:51.084 [            refine_server] Creating new workspace directory C:\Users\yaeln\AppData\Roaming\OpenRefine (1ms)
because it didn't find an existing \OpenRefine folder under AppData.

OpenRefine isn't programmed to take advantage of the "Apps" Folder of OneDrive, so your files would not be there.  Hmm.
We don't create a new workspace directory without trying to locate the old one and use it.
If your previous version was Gridworks or Google Refine, then we move the data folder to a new OpenRefine folder.

You mentioned you are on a new Dell / Windows 10 machine.
Did you restore your workspace from an old computer and copy it into your %AppData%\OpenRefine folder correctly?
When you installed OpenRefine 3.3-rc1 on this new computer, then how would OpenRefine see your old files?

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Feb 12, 2020, 12:03:49 PM2/12/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yael,

I am really sorry about that! Let's try to find out what happens.

The logs you gave us are great, but they only cover the startup of
OpenRefine. It would help if you could:
- start OpenRefine
- go to the Starred Expressions tab in your browser
- then, check the logs: these should contain more lines.

Can you also check if there are any errors in the console of your web
browser (right click anywhere in the page, "Inspect" or "Inspect
element" depending on the browser, and then go to the "Console" tab).

Thanks!
Antonin

On 12/02/2020 05:14, Yael Netzer wrote:
> Thanks for the answer - a disaster again (and a real one, I am about to
> give a short workshop today on OpenRefine in a wintershcool and all of
> my data is missing...
> I suppose it has to do with windows onedrive soft and hard links in
> OneDrive which I was not aware to.
> Am I right?
> The question is - where are my projects?!
>
> Here is my log
> 07:05:50.518 [            refine_server] Starting Server bound to
> '127.0.0.1:3333 <http://127.0.0.1:3333>' (0ms)
> <mailto:openrefine%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:openrefine+...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:openrefine%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine/CAPAg931%2BiY5GHChtxmU2HCOx4%3DA5hC79BS_Cf9Rh_8ZxZakZxQ%40mail.gmail.com
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine/CAPAg931%2BiY5GHChtxmU2HCOx4%3DA5hC79BS_Cf9Rh_8ZxZakZxQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine/c07bbbf8-9022-0536-9233-3fd85cd9e27f%40antonin.delpeuch.eu.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine/CAPAg930oJPjKMPF7HLdBo8sx%2B3HGeb_d5Ny8gyCymBDaume4Jg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine/CAPAg930oJPjKMPF7HLdBo8sx%2B3HGeb_d5Ny8gyCymBDaume4Jg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Yael Netzer

Feb 15, 2020, 4:58:06 AM2/15/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your answers. I was way too busy to react - but I (think I) figured out that the workspace 'disappeared' since my openrefine was running from desktop which is under the 'onedrive', and since I ran it while my computer was not connected to the internet, the data itself was under a 'local' folder while the path was initiated as 'roaming' (#-Drefine.data_dir=C:\Users\yaeln\AppData\Local\OpenRefine) .
My lesson - not to put openrefine on a onedrive path (straight under c:\ or similar)

However, this did not solve the lost history problem.

There are errors in the inspect element console:
project-bundle.js:10335 JQMIGRATE: Logging is active
project-bundle.js:9594 [Deprecation] Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/.
send @ project-bundle.js:9594
:3333/en/en.json:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
project-bundle.js:10355 JQMIGRATE: jQuery.fn.attr('value', val) no longer sets properties
migrateWarn @ project-bundle.js:10355
project-bundle.js:10357 console.trace
migrateWarn @ project-bundle.js:10357
DevTools failed to parse SourceMap: http://127.0.0.1:3333/underscore-min.map