Function add column from other project is numb

Kateřina Kovářová

Oct 21, 2022, 6:02:39 AM10/21/22
to OpenRefine
Hey guys, need to use add column from other project feature, but it actually is not doing anything at all, in the window it just says  refine] GET /command/core/get-all-project-metadata (8921ms) but nothing happens at all.
Think it might be an issue, that all folders with projects are empty, even the ones i just created.
Anybody any hint?
Thanks Katerina

Owen Stephens

Oct 21, 2022, 6:04:46 AM10/21/22
to OpenRefine
Is that using the VIB-BITS extension?
If so, which version of OpenRefine are you using with it?

Owen

Kateřina Kovářová

Oct 21, 2022, 6:10:21 AM10/21/22
to OpenRefine
Hey Owen,
I am using OpenRefine 3.5.2. and i just installed VIB-BITS extension. I did close the app and restarted it after the "instalation"
Thanks
Katerina

Owen Stephens

Oct 21, 2022, 6:27:07 AM10/21/22
to OpenRefine
Instead of using the VIB-BITS extension can you try instead:

From the column in your project that you are using as the match, do "Edit columns -> add column based on this column"
In the transformation write
cell.cross("project name","matching column name")
Replacing the project name and matching column name with the name of the project you want to use and the column that contains the matching value
In the Preview at this point I'd expect to see something like:
[ [object Row] ]
or
null

The first indicates that a match was found
The second that no match was found

Alternatively if this isn't working OK you should see an error message in the preview

Let me know what you find at this point (you don't need to do anything further than look at the preview). This is to help understand if the problem is something about your OpenRefine installation or with the VIB-BITS extension

Thanks

Owen

Kateřina Kovářová

Oct 21, 2022, 6:52:12 AM10/21/22
to OpenRefine

Well so i have tried it and the error message i get in the preview is:  Chyba: java.lang.NullPointerException
Chyba- stands in czech for mistake

Owen Stephens

Oct 21, 2022, 7:00:32 AM10/21/22
to OpenRefine
OK - hard to be sure but suspect it's the same issue that is stopping the extension working.

To start with can you try installing OpenRefine 3.6.2 (the latest version) without the extension and see if you get the same result with the 'cross' command?

Owen

Kateřina Kovářová

Oct 21, 2022, 7:00:59 AM10/21/22
to OpenRefine
Ok, i must admit, that i have paired the two tabs in the wrong order, now when i did it in th right order - pair the old ones with the new ones, it says nothing in the preview... so that means, there are no matches?

Owen Stephens

Oct 21, 2022, 7:02:36 AM10/21/22
to OpenRefine
Is it blank or does it say `null`?

Kateřina Kovářová

Oct 21, 2022, 7:03:34 AM10/21/22
to OpenRefine
I have reinstalled the OpenRefine already and VIB-BITS too, when i started to have this issue ..

Kateřina Kovářová

Oct 21, 2022, 7:03:49 AM10/21/22
to OpenRefine
it is blank

Owen Stephens

Oct 21, 2022, 7:05:14 AM10/21/22
to OpenRefine
You said you were running OpenRefine 3.5.2 earlier - maybe this was a typo? The latest version is 3.6.2

But the next thing I would try is removing the extension so we can check it is not causing the problem itself

Kateřina Kovářová

Oct 21, 2022, 7:25:56 AM10/21/22
to OpenRefine
Dear Owen,
thank you for your patience and great help, yes i have mistaken my OpenRefine version, it was and old one, so i did deleted it, installed new one, did add the VIB-Bits and now it works perfectly.
One more time, thank you so much!
Have a great weekend!
Katerina

Owen Stephens