Numeric facet management

Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay

Jul 23, 2021, 5:55:01 AM7/23/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Dear all

How do we solve this problem?

In numeric facet we need to create ranges like this

101 to 500
501 to 1000
1001 to 1500 and so on.

But we are not able to set that fine range - it is working fine with 0 to 100 but it is almost impossible to set sliders at 101 or 501 or 1001 positions (taking 100, 500, 1000 instead).

As a result there is overlapping of results and total values are not matching for obvious reasons.

Is there any way out through which we can set range manually? What are we missing?

Best regards

Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay
Professor, Department of Library and Information Science,
University of Kalyani, Kalyani - 741 235 (WB), India

Jevon, Graham

Jul 23, 2021, 6:46:26 AM7/23/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com

What about a custom text facet or custom numeric facet?

If(value > 100 and value <  501,”include”,”exclude”)

I haven’t tested that statement, but something like that

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postm...@bl.uk : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.
Think before you print

Thad Guidry

Jul 23, 2021, 7:40:21 AM7/23/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Parthasarathi,

If you want to have groups of row numbers to facet against then divide the row.index by a number
row.index/100
row.index/1000
and sometimes another type of facet (custom text, custom numeric, etc.) can work better depending on the situation.

After your last week's question ;-) , I saw we needed to improve the docs with that note so I wrote it up, but it hasn't been merged yet:
https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/pull/4062/files

Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay

Jul 23, 2021, 8:12:55 AM7/23/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Dear Graham and Thad

Thanks for coining the ideas .... We applied this on the basis of the ideas you have given us:

Facet >> Custom Text facet >> and(value >=101, value <500) >> Nicely giving facets values -

false 24122
true 186

The advantage, apart from obtaining exact values, is that we don't have to create additional columns for getting these values.

Thanks a lot to both of you.

Yes Thad, thanks a lot for the PR. It explains this requirement nicely and we got some additional ideas too from the PR.

Thanks again

Best regards