Timeout with Wikidata recon service

Alfred Grundinger

Feb 28, 2019, 9:43:28 AM2/28/19
to OpenRefine
Hallo there,

I've run into a reoccuring problem with my openrefine installations. Whenever I start the application I get the message:

Error contacting recon service: timeout : timeout - https://tools.wmflabs.org/openrefine-wikidata/en/api

I the error stays consitent (Platform: Ubuntu), even when removing everything and starting over. I have multiple times deleted openrefine and all projects including the workspace and tried to reinstall. I found this related issue https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/issues/1665 , but I don't think it is 100% related to my experience. There seems to be a related problem with editing schemas as well, because it is impossible to get search results from Wikidata for me. My strongest guess it, that it is because to my workspace.json, which seems to empty:

{"projectIDs":[],"preferences":{"entries":{"scripting.starred-expressions":{"class":"com.google.refine.preference.TopList","top":2147483647,"list":[]},"scripting.expressions":{"class":"com.google.refine.preference.TopList","top":100,"list":[]}}}}

(This is a fresh install with no projects.) I have also manually added a "full" config, which I have linked here for your enjoyment: https://pastebin.com/SuDN965p . When configured this way, the reconciliation service starts working, even the "de" one, but I still can't search for Wikidata items in schemas.

Any Ideas?

Greetings Alfred

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Feb 28, 2019, 9:50:39 AM2/28/19
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Alfred,

There is an ongoing performance issue in the OpenRefine-Wikidata
reconciliation service. The performance was really bad yesterday and I
thought it had come back to normal, but apparently not for you!

The state of your workspace should be irrelevant for this.

What you could do is try to delete the "Wikidata (en)" reconciliation
service and add it again, with the URL
"https://tools.wmflabs.org/openrefine-wikidata/en/api" as usual.

Vielen Dank,
Antonin

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Feb 28, 2019, 9:56:24 AM2/28/19
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Another thing you can do, if the German reconciliation interface works
but not the English one (which is definitely weird) is to switch
OpenRefine's interface to German (in your preferences). The Wikidata
schema should then use the German reconciliation interface to suggest
items, which should solve your problem.

Antonin

Alfred Grundinger

Feb 28, 2019, 11:29:24 AM2/28/19
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Antonin,

Thanks for your recommendation. I have tried adding the recon services
again, but when I try it "in-app" it only returns timeouts. The only way
to add a service is by manually adding it in workspace.json. When doing
this, reconciliation does work again, but Wikidata properties or items
are not searchable form the interface. I have tried it on two Linux
Laptops and even used a dockerimage to be sure, but I always get the
same results.

Greetings

Alfred

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Feb 28, 2019, 11:42:41 AM2/28/19
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alfred,

Ok, so that's unrelated to yesterday's performance issues I assume. It
looks like the Java server is able to contact the reconciliation service
but your browser is not.

Do you see any error in the javascript console? Are you in a position to
inspect the HTTP requests from the developer tools in your browser?
Could it be that your browser blocks calls to external services
(possibly a privacy-protecting extension)?

Antonin

Alfred Grundinger

Feb 28, 2019, 5:40:04 PM2/28/19
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antonin,

you were right, it was a privacy badger issue. I really didn't think of
that, many thanks :)

Greetings

Alfred