Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

GarthTardy

ungelesen,
11.10.2022, 15:20:4211.10.22
an OpenRefine
My university system is not allowing Java on our networks and computers and therefore the LODrefine I was using and the Openrefine I had installed will no longer work for me. Is there a good alternative to Openrefine that doesn't rely on Java?

Garth Tardy (He/His/Him)
Metadata Librarian
University of Missouri--Kansas City
tar...@umkc.edu

Hugh Paterson III

ungelesen,
11.10.2022, 23:37:5811.10.22
an openr...@googlegroups.com
Can you run a virtual machine on your real machine? In side that virtual machine you could run Linux or windows and install Java to your hearts content.

- Hugh

All the best,
-Hugh

Sent from my iPhone

Sandra Fauconnier

ungelesen,
12.10.2022, 02:11:3812.10.22
an openr...@googlegroups.com

There's also a hosted OpenRefine version on Wikimedia PAWS, for everyone who has a Wikimedia (i.e. Wikipedia, or Wikidata...) account. It has a few glitches but works OK: https://hub.paws.wmcloud.org/

Sandra

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine/CAE%3D3Ky9bk8Av%2B_G2v24DtwY98LzjPDAnDwb1_jgXQVESAijkjQ%40mail.gmail.com.
--
Sandra Fauconnier (she/her)
Project Director, OpenRefine

Owen Stephens

ungelesen,
12.10.2022, 04:43:3312.10.22
an OpenRefine
Is  it no Java period, or particular aspects or versions of Java that are the issue? I ask because we now have versions of OpenRefine that come bundled with Java so there's no requirement of any separate install, and also because I know that Oracle versions of Java are not allowed in some institutions due to licensing issues.

LODrefine however is, I'm afraid, based on an older version of OpenRefine and not maintained by the OpenRefine team. I'd be looking to move to using OpenRefine with the RDF Transform extension https://github.com/AtesComp/rdf-transform extension or the older RDF extension https://github.com/stkenny/grefine-rdf-extension for RDF based linked data work

I'd suggest it's worth asking local IT for clarification about what can and can't be run exactly and then asking any questions about exactly what OpenRefine needs to run so we can check that it definitely isn't possible for you to run the latest version of OpenRefine with the embedded java option

Owen

Williams,HK

ungelesen,
13.10.2022, 11:46:4313.10.22
an openr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Garth,

Can you use the OpenRefine download with embedded Java, or is it a total moratorium on it?  We got permission internally to use the Windows kit with embedded java for OpenRefine.

Windows kit with embedded Java, includes OpenJDK Java, available under the GPLv2+CE license. Download, unzip, and double-click on openrefine.exe or refine.bat if the former does not work.

Best wishes

Helen

Helen Williams

Metadata Manager