Salvage crashed project?

Jevon, Graham

Apr 9, 2021, 10:12:59 AM4/9/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Is there any way of retrieving a crashed project?

I’ve been working on a project for some time and after performing what should have been the very last task in OR (join multi valued cells), the OR page became unresponsive and crashed. Now this project won’t open. If I try to re-open after restarting OR, I get the following page until it eventually crashes to

Until eventually it goes to this:

Luckily I have a backup from this morning, but I’d rather not try to remember and re-do all the steps I’ve performed during the last few hours if I can retrieve the data.

Thanks

Graham

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postm...@bl.uk : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.
Think before you print

Tom Morris

Apr 10, 2021, 8:26:13 PM4/10/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com
I suspect the project is probably OK, but is causing the browser difficulties (perhaps trying to render a very wide grid or records with a large number of rows).

The first screenshot seems to indicate that you might have multiple tabs open with this project. If so, I'd try closing all those -- and perhaps opening a fresh browser session for good measure.

Do you remember what your last operation was? If it was something that could have created many more columns or clustered a whole bunch of rows into records, you might try to undo it, if the browser is responsive at all when it first starts rendering the page.

If you can't get things sorted out, I can take a quick look at the project if you don't mind sharing it. Navigate to the OpenRefine workspace directory and look for the 1855572....project (ie the one that matches your project ID), zip up the entire subdirectory and email it to me.

Tom

Jevon, Graham

Apr 13, 2021, 5:24:01 AM4/13/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tom

Thanks for helping with this.

I managed to resolve this by taking the project from the workspace directory and opening it on a different, more powerful machine. After a bit of waiting it eventually opened and I was able to undo that last function.

The last step was join multi valued cells and it would have included one record having 4000+ rows being joined into a single cell.

Thanks

Graham

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 10:13 AM Jevon, Graham <Graham...@bl.uk> wrote:

Hi

Is there any way of retrieving a crashed project?

I’ve been working on a project for some time and after performing what should have been the very last task in OR (join multi valued cells), the OR page became unresponsive and crashed. Now this project won’t open. If I try to re-open after restarting OR, I get the following page until it eventually crashes to

cid:image001.jpg@01D72F85.AFB94730

Until eventually it goes to this:

cid:image002.jpg@01D72F85.AFB94730

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postm...@bl.uk : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

Tom Morris

Apr 13, 2021, 10:54:02 AM4/13/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback.

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 5:24 AM Jevon, Graham <Graham...@bl.uk> wrote:

The last step was join multi valued cells and it would have included one record having 4000+ rows being joined into a single cell.

This is a weakness of our paging model. Because we only page in increments of whole records, if you have a record with many rows, OpenRefine can overwhelm the browser.

Opening the project in row mode rather than record mode by default might be one solution, but we should really look at better ways to help users so that they don't get boxed into a corner.

Regards,
Tom