Re: [OpenRefine] Re: help in retrieving recent history+ restarting on MAC with a downloaded new release

Sinai Rusinek

Aug 26, 2020, 8:52:07 AM8/26/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com
In fact, I could use some more help, thanks! I suppose this is a simpler and more common issue: I decided, following this ordeal, to finally download the updated release 3.3, but cannot start Open Refine: the diamond icon just jumps up and down on the dock. When this happened to others who use mac it was because they tried to start it from outside 'applications'- but this is not the case. It is in the application folder, was verified, I was asked to confirm that I would like to open it, and when I did it just started jumping.
Is the problem familiar? any idea how to solve this?
many thanks,
Sinai

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 14:07, Owen Stephens <ow...@ostephens.com> wrote:
Really sorry to hear that you may have to do this work again :(

If there's any help I can give in terms of getting the work done efficiently (any hints I can offer etc.) then let me know.

Good luck!

Owen

On Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 11:49:49 AM UTC+1 sinai....@mail.huji.ac.il wrote:
Dear Owen,
Thanks again for the effort you put into it!
Yesterday I reported it as a bug, and Tom Morris has a good explanation for how this happened, and an idea to solve it on OR side:https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/issues/3130#issuecomment-680213002. On the user's side, for now, my lesson is to keep your workspace directory on dropbox or find another way to back the data, not to trust fully on OR's history.
I am still hoping to find a way to use the changes files in the history to re-update the project, though I am slowly getting used to the ID of re-starting the whole project.
all best,
On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 13:02, Owen Stephens <ow...@ostephens.com> wrote:
I'm afraid I don't know how you could restore based on this information. Is it possible a previous version of the files got restored by accident? (e.g. via a file synchronisation service like Dropbox?)

Otherwise I'm at a loss - sorry :(

Owen

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 4:34:41 PM UTC+1 sinai....@mail.huji.ac.il wrote:
Dear Owen, and all,
Thanks Owen for the lead regarding the workspace directory import - which indeed doesn't seem to change the state of the project.
I'll try to elaborate a little:
Last Thursday, by 13:00/1PM, I still had a copy of the VIAF_ID column fully reconciled with Wikidata (a large part of it was matched, but not all) and many more thousands of values in columns split 1 and split 2 reconciled with data. Also, the recent history in the "undo" was from the morning and the night and day before.
Something happened on Thursday afternoon and in the evening, the project suddenly lost the VIAF reconciled column and most of the reconciliation on the other columns. the "undo" panel showed actions that I did back in June.
When I look at the workspace directory, I see files in the history folder of the project through Thursday, before and after this change, but after copying the project folder, removing history files from Thursday afternoon and reopening Open Refine, nothing changes and I still get the old state from June.  Is there something in the data/json files of the project folder that I should change?
many thanks,
On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 at 14:49, Owen Stephens <ow...@ostephens.com> wrote:
Hi Sinai,

I took the folder you've uploaded "2482845981354updated_files.project" and downloaded it locally, renamed to "2482845981354.project" and put it in my workspace directory. Then I restarted OpenRefine, and was able to see the project "KimaPlaces2020-06-16" in the list of projects and open it without a problem.

However, from a cursory glance at the project this seems to be exactly the same as what's available from the gzipped project "KimaPlaces2020-06-16.openrefine (1).tar.gz" you've uploaded.

Owen

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 9:39:13 AM UTC+1 Owen Stephens wrote:
Hi Sinai,

I'm really sorry - I thought I'd managed to recover this yesterday but looking at the file I think I've only managed to restore the less recent version of the file without the updates. I'll have another look today and let you know if I make any progress.

Owen

On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 12:43:55 PM UTC+1 sinai....@mail.huji.ac.il wrote:
Hi Owen,
2482845981354updated_files.project has a more recent history - so thousands of rows reconciled with wikidata as well as another column with VIAF reconciliations that did not exist in June. When I import KimaPlaces2020-06-16.openrefine (1).tar.gz I only get the version of the project from June, without all these updates. If you can recover the project from 2482845981354updated_files.project - or tell me how to do it - it would wonderful!
thanks,
Sinai

Sinai Rusinek

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 at 14:22, Owen Stephens <ow...@ostephens.com> wrote:
I can recover the data from 2482845981354updated_files.project - but this is the same as the exported project from what I can tell? Is that what you'd expect?

On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 11:44:13 AM UTC+1 sinai....@mail.huji.ac.il wrote:
Thanks Owen, but this one is the the project i exported from which the recent history dissapeared, so what i need is the data from the other files.

בתאריך יום ב׳, 24 באוג׳ 2020, 13:34, מאת Owen Stephens ‏<ow...@ostephens.com>:
Hi Sinai,

You can use the "Import Project" function to import the project file "KimaPlaces2020-06-16.openrefine (1).tar.gz" - this add the project to your GUI and will include all your History.

Best wishes

Owen

On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 10:01:29 AM UTC+1 sinai....@mail.huji.ac.il wrote:
Dear all,
Following some connection and backup issues, I now have a project in Open Refine GUI in the state it was in mid-June, though I can see files with all the more updated history data of the project available on my desktop. It is A LOT of work that I need to salvage.
How can I make this history (or simply the latest version) available on the GUI?
Is there a way to import a project history directory into an existing project or simply make it into an active project on the GUI?
in case this is helpful - I uploaded the relevant material to this folder:

Many thanks in advance,
Sinai

Thad Guidry

Aug 26, 2020, 10:04:58 AM8/26/20
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sinai!

There are a few alarming bugs that we had in 3.3 version (which may or maynot affect your work).
If you could try to download and use 3.4 beta that might be best.  Remember that data is valuable...so backup workspaces often as you are now aware ;-)