How many expressions can be starred?

Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay

Mar 11, 2021, 7:37:27 AM3/11/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Dear all

I am not getting a direct answer to the following two questions from the available documents:

a> In the expression editor of OR, how many expressions can actually be starred?

b> How many expressions 'history' tab in OR expression editor can store by default?

Yes, I'm asking these questions after losing some important expressions from the expression editor :-(

Regards
Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay
Professor, Department of Library and Information Science,
University of Kalyani, Kalyani - 741 235 (WB), India

Owen Stephens

Mar 25, 2021, 11:06:24 AM3/25/21
to OpenRefine
The number of starred expressions is limited by a setting in the file "workspace.json" in your workspace directory. Mine is limited to 10 which seems to be the default (although I didn't fully follow the code for this so I may be wrong). This certainly seems low!

The History is limited by a setting in the same file and is limited to 100 as a default (in this case I can see that in the code).

It is also not great (understatement!) that as soon as you star an expression over 10, then one of your starred expressions is silently removed from your list to make room for the new one.

I'd definitely encourage you to raise a GitHub issue (check if there is already one first) to allow for a larger number of starred expressions and also better management to avoid these being removed without a warning to the user

Owen

Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay

Mar 25, 2021, 12:02:36 PM3/25/21
to openr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Owen for showing the path as always.

I'll raise this issue as advised in Github in real soon (meanwhile changing my settings of workspace.json).

Best regards