Did we break something ? Custom Exporter handling Tabs correctly

Thad Guidry

Nov 21, 2011, 12:34:39 PM11/21/11
to google-r...@googlegroups.com
With newest Trunk, it seems I cannot get Tabs to be exported as a download option with Custom Exporter.

Anyone else confirm this ?

My example data has a few columns of strings and also 2 columns of Freebase mids.

--
-Thad
http://www.freebase.com/view/en/thad_guidry

Thad Guidry

Nov 21, 2011, 12:45:05 PM11/21/11
to google-r...@googlegroups.com
Actually, it seems as if it is something around the Line Separator that is not getting picked up correctly for Windows systems.  Attached is what I copied and pasted from Chrome Browser's Refine preview of the Custom Exporter.

What's going on that this comes across as just "One Big Long Line" ?
thad-test.tsv

David Huynh

Nov 21, 2011, 1:51:18 PM11/21/11
to google-r...@googlegroups.com
In your file I'm seeing

\lf

(literally) where new line characters should be... Let me take a look

David

Tom Morris

Nov 21, 2011, 1:54:26 PM11/21/11
to google-r...@googlegroups.com
It looks like that file has the string "\lf" where I'd expect line
separators. When I try it, I get '\' instead of tabs for field
separators and '\n' instead of newlines, so it looks like separator
unescaping is broken.

Please file a bug report and we'll take a look at it.

Tom

Thad Guidry

Nov 21, 2011, 2:15:35 PM11/21/11
to google-r...@googlegroups.com
RIght, before I had \n, but replaced it with \lf just to see how it was being affected.

I'll file a new bug report.

David Huynh

Nov 21, 2011, 2:16:42 PM11/21/11
to google-r...@googlegroups.com
I think I've just fixed it. Thad, could you svn up and see?

David

Thad Guidry

Nov 21, 2011, 2:28:00 PM11/21/11
to google-r...@googlegroups.com
Yeap, that seems to have fixed it.

Tried with TSV and CSV and both look correct now and imported back into Refine via clipboard test with no problems.

Tom Morris

Nov 21, 2011, 3:46:23 PM11/21/11
to google-r...@googlegroups.com
> Yeap, that seems to have fixed it.

Thanks for the quick fix, David!

Thanks for creating the bug report Thad. I know it seems like
overhead/busy work sometimes, particularly for small items, but I
think it's valuable for helping to track what's going on with the
project. I added David to that issue as the Owner, so he'll get
"credit" for the fix.

Tom

Thad Guidry

Nov 21, 2011, 3:58:05 PM11/21/11
to google-r...@googlegroups.com
ANYTIME we provide a fix, there should be a reason (a bug report) of why we produced a fix in the first place (busy work or not).  AGREED.  And it helps the community (and Google) justify LOE.
--
-Thad
http://www.freebase.com/view/en/thad_guidry

Thad Guidry

Nov 21, 2011, 3:59:34 PM11/21/11
to google-r...@googlegroups.com
I should have said... And it helps the community (and Google) justify LOE, but letting everyone have the capability to VOTE and STAR the issues most important to them.
--
-Thad
http://www.freebase.com/view/en/thad_guidry

David Huynh

Nov 21, 2011, 5:03:49 PM11/21/11
to google-r...@googlegroups.com
Agreed! (But what's LOE?)

And thanks for catching that, Thad! Please pound on trunk/ some more!

David

Thad Guidry

Nov 21, 2011, 5:59:22 PM11/21/11
to google-r...@googlegroups.com