Applying for funding to develop integration with Wikimedia Commons

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Jan 9, 2021, 10:34:02 AM1/9/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Wikimedia Commons is the database of freely licensed media run by the
Wikimedia Foundation. It stores media files used in many Wikimedia
projects, such as the various language editions of Wikipedia. Quickly
after we released our integration with Wikidata (now Wikibase, although
this is still to be released), we got requests to support similar
functionality for Wikimedia Commons. Just like for Wikidata, the goal is
to be able to do batch imports in Commons via OpenRefine.

There are already various batch import tools for Commons [1], but they
offer little or no support for adding structured metadata to files on
Commons. With its reconciliation features, OpenRefine feels like a good
candidate to fill this gap. The structured metadata fields have been
added in 2019 and use Wikibase, so the hope would be to reuse our
existing Wikibase integration as much as possible.

I am starting this thread because we have an opportunity to apply for
funding to work on such an integration. The Wikimedia foundation offers
grants which can be used to work on tools that are relevant to the
Wikimedia ecosystem [2].

So I would like to start coordinating around this project in the
community. I have many questions: Do you think it is a good idea to
apply for funding to work on this? Do you have an idea of what the
integration should look like? Would you be interested in working on this
yourself? Do you have other projects in mind for which you would like to
apply for funding (not necessarily from WMF)?

I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on this!

Best,

Antonin

[1]:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Upload_tools#Standalone_desktop_applications

[2]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Mar 10, 2021, 12:41:42 PM3/10/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Here is an update on this: Sandra Fauconnier (from our steering
committee) has taken the lead on this and our funding proposal is being
drafted here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dVPdt0pTKHq5oI1n1Pfuf-PrvLR3uFJxjHmdX0rSYAs/edit

This will be submitted soon for review by the community.

Antonin

Antoine Beaubien

Mar 10, 2021, 4:43:02 PM3/10/21
to OpenRefine Development
Antonin, I'm VERY interested by that, enhance wikibase access for OR.

To whom should I signal it?

Regards,
   Antoine

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Mar 13, 2021, 5:55:31 AM3/13/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antoine,

That's great to hear! This is the good place to signal your enthusiasm
:) How would you like to get involved in this effort?

This project is specifically aimed for Wikimedia Commons, but it should
be a good opportunity to improve Wikibase support in general.

Best,
Antonin
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project>
> >

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/2a532f4e-7032-43fd-8083-45b41cf7f69an%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/2a532f4e-7032-43fd-8083-45b41cf7f69an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Antoine Beaubien

Mar 13, 2021, 11:18:53 PM3/13/21
to OpenRefine Development
Hi Antonin,

   My answer will probably surprise you, but at first, I guess I would be a good resource to
  • identify tasks and prioritize,
  • find programers to do tasks
  • follow their work
    • feed them
    • answer their questions
    • find the answer when I don't have it
    • acknowledge the completions
  • adjust path with difficulties encountered
If we consider MediaWiki for file upload (which WikiCommon would benefit to upload files), wikidata with the retrieval of qualifiers and references, Create-Read-Update-Delete (CRUD), and uploading information to MediaInfos/Structured Data in WikiCommons, and a general use for custom wikibases, one must admit this is a very broad scope. ;-)

I understand this is more focused on MediaInfos/Structured Data in WikiCommons, and maybe file upload to WikiCommons at best, and a generalization for other wikibase.

If I was to code and do all the work, I would concentrate on how to push from OpenRefine to MediaInfos/Structured Data in WikiCommons, and the question with default namespace not being Q but M for a wikibase, and the changes required in the OpenRefine Wikidata Recon code that you wrote. I'm not sure I would be good for coding all that.

Regards,
   Antoine

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Mar 14, 2021, 4:20:05 AM3/14/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antoine,

Yes in fact we have already been planning this a bit - you'll find a
breakdown into tasks here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Structured_Data_on_Wikimedia_Commons_functionalities_in_OpenRefine#Activities

It's still time to tweak things there before tomorrow so if you see
problems there let us know!

Best,
Antonin

On 14/03/2021 05:18, Antoine Beaubien wrote:
> Hi Antonin,
>
>    My answer will probably surprise you, but at first, I guess I would
> be a good resource to
>
> * identify tasks and prioritize,
> * find programers to do tasks
> * follow their work
> o feed them
> o answer their questions
> o find the answer when I don't have it
> o acknowledge the completions
> * adjust path with difficulties encountered
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/2a532f4e-7032-43fd-8083-45b41cf7f69an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/2a532f4e-7032-43fd-8083-45b41cf7f69an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/1a01fdb7-3717-427b-b772-f35fdf7e7878n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/1a01fdb7-3717-427b-b772-f35fdf7e7878n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Mar 16, 2021, 7:06:56 AM3/16/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Our proposal is live:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Structured_Data_on_Wikimedia_Commons_functionalities_in_OpenRefine

If you endorse it, it could be good to make your relation to OpenRefine
clear (for instance, by stating that you are a contributor). This is
especially important because endorsements from accounts which have not
been very active in Wikimedia projects before might look suspicious.

Best,
Antonin

Antoine Beaubien

Mar 17, 2021, 4:44:18 PM3/17/21
to OpenRefine Development
Hi Antonin,

   So, after carefully reading the Wikimedia grant proposal, I would be very interested to be the Wikimedia tool developer.

Regards,
   Antoine

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Mar 19, 2021, 8:22:01 AM3/19/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antoine,

Great! We have not started the recruitment process for this yet but
watch this space, we will of course notify this list when that happens.

Best,
Antonin