Column Description

Labian Gashi

Aug 16, 2021, 12:24:02 PM8/16/21
to OpenRefine Development
Hi everyone,

While I am building a couple of OpenRefine extensions for geodata (Export to GeoJSON and another one for importing data from OpenStreetMap using Overpass), I was thinking it would be nice if I could write some description on the columns since some of them are auto-generated during the import process.

I found that in the code there is the description attribute for a column but I can not find it anywhere in the OpenRefine interface? Was it something left for later or am I missing something?

I was thinking of placing it inside Edit Column option of the column (between Rename this column and Remove this column) if we decide to develop it and add it as a feature/functionality.

Screenshot 2021-08-16 182348.png

Thanks,
Labian.

Thad Guidry

Aug 16, 2021, 12:37:58 PM8/16/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi Labian,

Yes, you will spot a few attributes for Column overlay in our code (and maybe the UI parts we might have kept some) that was left over from a merge of a portion of work to support schemas and metadata, but then we reverted that merge and cleaned up in places as seen here: https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/pull/1398   You can see some of the issues around that work starting back around 2017 from user jackyq2015 and others here: https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/issues?q=is%3Aissue+label%3Ametadata+is%3Aclosed

We eventually do want to get metadata support fully (types and all) for Columns especially and perhaps Records etc. in the future.
https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/issues/1726  and probably a few others that are open with different requirements/use cases.

We have the specific label:metadata that you can see those issues/enhancement requests.

And the broader query of just "metadata"
The other place where metadata is supported is on a Project itself (name, description, tags, etc.) which I'm sure you saw with it's basic Key:Value layout.

I'd love for you to work with Antonin later on in September when he has time to possibly collaborate on the first steps of metadata support again for OpenRefine.  That would be fantastic!  And your use case certainly fits into the basic criteria.

Thad Guidry

Aug 16, 2021, 12:44:56 PM8/16/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com

I was thinking of placing it inside Edit Column option of the column (between Rename this column and Remove this column) if we decide to develop it and add it as a feature/functionality.

Directly to that specific question (sorry forgot to answer):

Since your doing an extension, with perhaps eyes towards collaboration, as far as placement of a new column menu option, I think something on top level would work better:

Edit cells ->
Edit column ->
Edit column metadata ->
Transpose ->