Opting for hacktoberfest 2021

Tejas Bhat

Oct 8, 2021, 10:28:36 AM10/8/21
to OpenRefine Development
Can we opt in for HacktoberFest 2021 ?

It is a fest conducted by Digital Ocean every year in the month of October to encourage people towards open source contribution.

There are goodies (t-shirts and stickers or plant a tree in your name) available for participants with 4 valuable PRs  to repositories participating in the fest.

For participation we need to add hacktoberfest topic to the repository or  pull request with the **hacktoberfest-accepted** label, submitted to any public repository, with or without the hacktoberfest topic, will be considered valid for Hacktoberfest.

Thad Guidry

Oct 8, 2021, 10:51:58 AM10/8/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tejas thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I personally have time to groom and quick review PR's that come in.
Especially labeling any that might be **spam** or **invalid** as per the 3 notes to maintainers in their FAQ.

Antonin could add the topic "hacktoberfest" to the OpenRefine repo.  That is all that is required on our part to start.
We can review PR's whenever we want or have time (they may not count for the participant if it falls after Oct 31 and I'm totally fine with that since boths sides are completely voluntary)

I would say, let's participate in Hacktoberfest.

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Oct 9, 2021, 3:54:44 PM10/9/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Given the number of open pull requests I am a bit reluctant to add to
the lot, but let's just do it and see what happens, I guess.

Antonin

On 08/10/2021 16:51, Thad Guidry wrote:
> Hi Tejas thanks for bringing this to our attention.
>
> I personally have time to groom and quick review PR's that come in.
> Especially labeling any that might be **spam** or **invalid** as per the
> 3 notes to maintainers in their FAQ
> <https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/faq>.
>
> Antonin could add the topic "hacktoberfest" to the OpenRefine repo.
> That is all that is required on our part to start.
> We can review PR's whenever we want or have time (they may not count for
> the participant if it falls after Oct 31 and I'm totally fine with that
> since boths sides are completely voluntary)
>
> I would say, let's participate in Hacktoberfest.
>
> Thad
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry/
> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry/>
> https://calendly.com/thadguidry/ <https://calendly.com/thadguidry/>
>

> On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 9:28 AM Tejas Bhat <tejas...@gmail.com
> <mailto:tejas...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Can we opt in for HacktoberFest 2021
> <https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/> ?
>
> It is a fest conducted by Digital Ocean every year in the month of
> October to encourage people towards open source contribution.
>
> There are goodies (t-shirts and stickers or plant a tree in your
> name) available for participants with 4 valuable PRs  to
> repositories participating in the fest.
>
> For participation we need to add hacktoberfest topic to the
> repository or  pull request with the **hacktoberfest-accepted**
> label, submitted to any public repository, with or without the
> hacktoberfest topic, will be considered valid for Hacktoberfest.
>
> --
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAChbWaPS%2BLKVVDWKOCgMSqa62fYM_wLVp-NLRqAYj6YTjTZB8g%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAChbWaPS%2BLKVVDWKOCgMSqa62fYM_wLVp-NLRqAYj6YTjTZB8g%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Martin Magdinier

Oct 10, 2021, 9:51:11 AM10/10/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Last year we decided against joining hacktoberfest (https://groups.google.com/g/openrefine-dev/c/UY1In66NIFw/m/UGOVUYjOAwAJ). I understand the program changed to address the spam issue, however it will still generate a lot of drive by PR (vs longer term engagement from the participants).

As Antonin mentioned we already have a backlog of PR to review. We also have an onboarding plan for next year with more  intern. I think hacktoberfest will create more noise than anything.

I agree we shouldn't join, so the core team focus on higher impact tasks.

Martin.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/9f3f94ec-8109-2a42-fc9e-cdfcb6926043%40antonin.delpeuch.eu.

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Oct 10, 2021, 10:20:08 AM10/10/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com

Hi Martin,

Since Kush had also requested it privately, I did add the tag to the repository yesterday - so far, no rush of PRs!

I guess if our existing contributors want to be rewarded through this programme for their efforts, it is still an easy gesture we can do. But if the spam issue remains a problem, let's roll it back.

Best,

Antonin

Martin Magdinier

Oct 10, 2021, 2:11:11 PM10/10/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Ok let me know if you like to advertise on OpenRefine twitter account.