Open Source Contribution

Harsh Kaushik

Mar 4, 2021, 6:18:10 AM3/4/21
to OpenRefine Development
Hey , I am a beginner and want to do open source contribution . I read the two documents and cloned the code on my machine and then downloaded Java JDK but got confused after this point in downloading Apache Maven. And I want to contribute to Javascript language so why I downloaded java JDK. Please guide me in further steps.

Florian Giroud

Mar 5, 2021, 2:14:00 AM3/5/21
to OpenRefine Development
Hi, you probably need maven in order to build Openrefine
OpenRefine is written in Java, so you need this toolset in order to run the app locally
Once this is done, you will only need javascript to add and run the tests
You will clone the repository, then run './refine' to launch the software, it should fail and show errors if your operating system is missing dependencies (maven and others)

Avinesh Tripathi

Mar 5, 2021, 12:41:30 PM3/5/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hello , i have build the open  refine by typing ./refine build in terminal in windows n it showed build successful but it it is not showing any thing (open refine app) in my browser . How do i see changes in open refine which i do in my PC . also help me hoq do i start contributing . Thank You !

Florian Giroud

Mar 8, 2021, 2:38:35 AM3/8/21
to OpenRefine Development
Once OpenRefine is up, you should be able to access it at http://localhost:3333/
If it's not working, the build log probably contains information
Your need to keep the terminal with ./refine openened, otherwise it will close the software

Best,
Florian Giroud