Lots of alerts from Weblate

Thad Guidry

Aug 25, 2022, 3:14:24 PM8/25/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone else getting them?
Is someone going to open issues to address them?

The most worrying is this one from today:

Does not meet Libre hosting conditions.

This project does no longer fit into Libre hosting conditions.

Contains 1 project

OpenRefinehttp://openrefine.org/

Contains 12 components

databaseBSD 2-Clause "Simplified" Licenseweblate://openrefine/translations, JSON nested structure file

Unmet guidelines from the community localization checklist:

  • Define translation instructions to give translators a guideline.
  • Fix this component to clear its alerts.
  • Add screenshots to show where strings are being used.
  • Use flags to indicate special strings in your translation.
  • Enable add-on: Add missing languages
    Ensures a consistent set of languages is used for all components within a project.
  • Enable add-on: Cleanup translation files
    Update all translation files to match the monolingual base file. For most file formats, this means removing stale translation keys no longer present in the base file.

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Aug 25, 2022, 3:34:58 PM8/25/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thad,

Yes I also got those.
I tried to take action on the easiest things, such as enabling the
add-ons they mention, but that sadly triggered a flood of commits to add
empty translation files in many of our modules. I really wish the add-on
had been clever enough to do it in less commits… I had to cancel a lot
of useless CI jobs because of that. I think it is fine to leave the
commits in the history, it should not do much harm, but it's just annoying.

I think Sandra is interested in improving the experience of translators
and some of the remaining alerts seem in phase with that, so I am
holding back from them :)

Antonin

On 25/08/2022 21:14, Thad Guidry wrote:
> Is anyone else getting them?
> Is someone going to open issues to address them?
>
> The most worrying is this one from today:
>

> Does not meet Libre hosting conditions.
>
> This project does no longer fit into Libre hosting conditions.
>
> ________Contains 1 project
>
> ________OpenRefine <https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/openrefine/>,
> http://openrefine.org/ <http://openrefine.org/>
>
> ________Contains 12 components
>
> ________database
> <https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/openrefine/database/>, BSD 2-Clause
> "Simplified" License <https://spdx.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause.html>,
> weblate://openrefine/translations, JSON nested structure file
>
> ________Unmet guidelines from the community localization checklist:
> <https://hosted.weblate.org/guide/openrefine/database/>
>
> * Define translation instructions to give translators a guideline.
> * Fix this component to clear its alerts.
> * Add screenshots to show where strings are being used.
> * Use flags to indicate special strings in your translation.
> * Enable add-on: Add missing languages
> Ensures a consistent set of languages is used for all components
> within a project.
> * Enable add-on: Cleanup translation files
> Update all translation files to match the monolingual base file. For
> most file formats, this means removing stale translation keys no
> longer present in the base file.
>

> Thad
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry/
> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry/>
> https://calendly.com/thadguidry/ <https://calendly.com/thadguidry/>
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAChbWaO1VXXVUg6c4zMDhwgn5Wq9w%3D371XhoxdiKv8vV_O5GKA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAChbWaO1VXXVUg6c4zMDhwgn5Wq9w%3D371XhoxdiKv8vV_O5GKA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Thad Guidry

Aug 25, 2022, 3:43:37 PM8/25/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Got it, understood, thanks!
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/444e80c3-4728-e25c-2075-8f3f644fe465%40antonin.delpeuch.eu.

Sandra Fauconnier

Aug 27, 2022, 2:01:41 AM8/27/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com

> I think Sandra is interested in improving the experience of
> translators and some of the remaining alerts seem in phase with that,
> so I am holding back from them :)

That's correct. I have used Weblate to translate our interface to my
native language (Dutch) and, even though I consider myself a seasoned
power user with a lot of tolerance for complex interfaces... I find
Weblate's end-user interface and guidelines complex, confusing / not
inviting. I think it's a big hurdle to get more people to actively
translate our UI.

So (actually before we received the alerts below) I wrote down a project
proposal to do some dedicated work to improve this situation. You can
find the proposal here, and comment on it:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dRmkkVMsjziSygfTlox6OuxO6iDPh7R9SgqtWRvzBw8/edit#heading=h.iwqyugtmfa9b

I could do this myself, but I'm not sure I'll have the time. I will take
a look in the upcoming weeks if it can be done as an Outreachy
internship (although it asks for very specific skills, more
community/linguistics than development focused). I'm also not sure if
I'll have the time/energy to be an Outreachy mentor in the next round.

If I follow up on this, I'll do it on the general user mailing list (as
I think this really concerns our end users at large). If someone here
wants to help, let me know, I'd be grateful :-)

FWIW: End user experience-wise, I hear much better things about
TranslateWiki. My (limited) personal experience as a translator there is
also better. And some of our most active user communities (Wikimedians)
are already there, which would really help in getting OR's interface
translated to more languages. I understand that we have not chosen
TranslateWiki but have preferred Weblate for technical reasons (better
integration with our code repository and processes??) but I'd be happy
if we can keep an open eye looking at other solutions. Having our
interface translated well and completely to as many key languages as
possible is the thing that really matters for our end users, and in the
current situation we're not really there at all.

>>   * Define translation instructions to give translators a guideline.
>>   * Fix this component to clear its alerts.
>>   * Add screenshots to show where strings are being used.
>>   * Use flags to indicate special strings in your translation.
>>   * Enable add-on: Add missing languages
>>     Ensures a consistent set of languages is used for all components
>>     within a project.
>>   * Enable add-on: Cleanup translation files
>>     Update all translation files to match the monolingual base file. For
>>     most file formats, this means removing stale translation keys no
>>     longer present in the base file.

Sandra

--
Sandra Fauconnier (she/her)
Project Director, OpenRefine

Thad Guidry

Aug 27, 2022, 1:24:04 PM8/27/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
We could add that as some option for translating OpenRefine, but unsure if any interface Weblate, Crowdin, TranslateWiki, etc. is perfectly ideal for translations.

Thad Guidry

Aug 27, 2022, 1:29:14 PM8/27/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Regarding the list of proposed TODO's in your document for the CZI Diversity and Inclusion grant:
I think all of the items you have in the document would definitely help the situation and I have nothing more to add to it other than perhaps agreeing that as far as the section Growing the translator community, perhaps TranslateWiki is indeed an ideal place to start with that for us.

Great work thus far on that document Sandra!