Organize the UX test suite, and define priorities

Florian Giroud

Dec 1, 2020, 7:43:28 AM12/1/20
to OpenRefine Development
Hello,

I am starting this thread to organize the UX test suite, and define priorities

1- Organisation of test names and folders

I am proposing to strictly adhere to OpenRefine UI, respecting the hierarchy of controls
It would look like that:

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 10.16.44.png

2- Writing specs

I will write tickets for the following tests, with a description of what should be tested.

General interface tests
  * Project renaming
  * About page
  * General layout

Projects list
  * In-depth test on the "About" panel + edit values
  * Delete a project
  * Sorting

Project / Sorting
  * test sorting with different data types
  * position blank & errors
  * a-to-z, t-to-a

Project / Pagination
  * first, previous, next, last buttons
  * pagination size

Project / Layout
  * Renaming project
  * collapse left panel

Row:
  * star
  * flag

Project / Column / Facet

Project / Column / Text filter

Project / Column / Edit Cells

Project / Column / Edit Column

Project / Column / Transpose

Project / Column / Sort

Project / Column / View

Project / Column / Reconcile

The approach would be to first write all the quick wins, tests that are super simple to implement (all texts transform for example).
That will let us have a quick overview of stability and performances

And as we write tests, we will split issues if we see that the scope is too big.

Question for the community
 1. How would you prioritize the list?
 2. What do you see missing?
 3. Would it make sense to write tests for known Github issues?
    (I am not sure yet, but we could allow some tests to fail or have a separate test suite for failing tests, just to not break the build)

Thank you

Florian Giroud

Dec 16, 2020, 8:49:21 AM12/16/20
to OpenRefine Development
This has been all moved to github where we can discuss further details about tests implementations.

https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Atests

Tom Morris

Dec 16, 2020, 10:34:06 PM12/16/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the delayed response, but just wanted to chime in and say that I agree with the organization by UI hierarchy, which mostly matches the code as well.

Tom