Bringing our GitHub settings in line with our gouvernance document

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Apr 13, 2022, 5:44:56 AM4/13/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

For a while, we have had a gouvernance document which describes various
roles in the project, but that was not very well reflected in our GitHub
settings. So far, basically only organization owners were able to merge
pull requests.

I have tried to bring our GitHub settings more in line with our
gouvernance document, by doing the following changes:

- rename the GitHub team "contributors" to "committers"

- delete the "maintainers" GitHub team, which only had Owen in it, and
did not seem to serve any purpose

- give right to committers to merge pull requests which have been
approved. They can also approve pull requests made by others.

Note that I routinely invite people to the "committers" group, after a
few successful pull requests: this group has currently 61 members. The
gouvernance document suggests that I should instead "nominate" them, so
perhaps propose them publicly as committers on the mailing list? What is
your interpretation of this process? I have also been thinking that it
would be nice to accompany the invitations to the committers group with
a personal message thanking the person for their contributions and
introducing them to the team, but it is not always possible to find a
suitable email address to send this message to.

With those changes, a lot more people have write access to the
repository. My hope is that this empowers people to embrace day to day
tasks like issue triage and pull request reviewing. If this is too lax a
policy, we always have the option to revert commits or to change accesses.

Let me know if you have any concerns or other feedback about those changes.

Cheers,

Antonin

Thad Guidry

Apr 13, 2022, 10:40:59 AM4/13/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hmm... just so we are a bit clearer and to confirm some of my possible misunderstandings from reading this...

With those changes, a lot more people have write access to the
repository.

Is this meaning that some or all of the "committers" group can directly merge when 1 or more "committers" have approved the PR for merge?  If yes, then GREAT !  As long as there is a narrow approval process (1 or more other "committers" approved) and we have that documented.
Or have you truly configured for direct write access by anyone in the "committers" group to directly write from the local Git to our master branch (removing it's protected status currently)?

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Apr 13, 2022, 10:48:43 AM4/13/22

On 13/04/2022 16:40, Thad Guidry wrote:

Is this meaning that some or all of the "committers" group can directly merge when 1 or more "committers" have approved the PR for merge?  If yes, then GREAT !

That is the case yes: all committers can merge when at least one approving review is there (and maybe no "request changes" review? I am not sure)

Antonin

Thad Guidry

Apr 13, 2022, 11:03:46 AM4/13/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Great, then I have no further concerns.  Let's see how things work out over the coming weeks.