Translating the user manual?

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Jan 28, 2021, 6:22:10 AM1/28/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Dear OpenRefine translators,

You might have heard that we have just launched a new documentation
platform for OpenRefine: https://docs.openrefine.org/

The announcement is here:
https://openrefine.org/blog/2021/01/26/announcing-our-new-user-manual.html

We wonder if there is any interest in making these docs translatable. Do
you think it would be useful for users? Would you be interested in
taking part? Which platform or workflow would you want to use for this?

Also, I would like to find ways to improve the communication among
translators and with the rest of the community. We rarely hear from
translators on this mailing list. What could we do to improve this?

Best,

Antonin

PS: I suspect not all active translators are on this mailing list, so I
will ping the most active ones privately, pointing to this thread.

Georgios Mavropalias

Jan 28, 2021, 8:05:05 AM1/28/21
to OpenRefine Development
Hello,

Thank you for the invitation, and for the reminder to start translating OpenRefine again! Maybe 2021 will be the year that Greek is translated to 100%!

However, when it comes to translating docs, I'm a bit more skeptical. A button in software rarely changes text, however, docs are constantly being updated. Therefore, users who may know adequate English, but just find reading in their native language easier, might read outdated docs by 5 to 10 versions, just because the translator didn't have the time to translate in their language. I might consider it in the future when the docs become mature and little change is happening; however, when finding some time to translate, I will definitely prioritize the actual software over the docs.

Kind regards,
Georgios

isao.ma...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2021, 12:11:30 PM1/28/21
to OpenRefine Development
HI, Translators around the globe.

First of all,  congratulations and many thanks for publishing brand-new Open Refine manual.

I'm willing to participate in translation into Japanese and I will follow any platform you choose.

I have one thing to point out; Sometimes someone tries to use batch(or almost-batch) process by using machine translation. This can be costly when others join the translation team: Once translated, Overwriting it can be psychologically hard because others are not able to distinguish it from deeply-sought-but-compromised wording. So how about prohibiting AI translation explicitly?

2021年1月28日木曜日 22:05:05 UTC+9 georgios.m...@gmail.com:

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Apr 26, 2021, 7:54:44 AM4/26/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Given Isao's feedback below and some other supporting comments received
privately I think it could be worth giving this a try. As an experiment
we could setup Crowdin (since I haven't found any good alternative so
far) and see if we like it. I would propose we initially start with the
user manual and leave the dev docs untranslated for now.

I can do this once the versioning is in place
(https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/pull/3847). This probably
means we will only translate the version being currently developed, not
the releases which have been published already. I am trying to figure
out some sort of a mechanism to propagate translations to older versions
when they do not differ.

Hopefully this will also be an opportunity to get more expert eyes on
our brand new documentation, as I suspect there will be things to
improve in the English text too.

Best,
Antonin