GSoC/Outreachy 2021?

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Dec 8, 2020, 2:57:13 PM12/8/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Various contributors have asked recently about whether we would
participate to the Google Summer of Code program. We could also consider
getting involved in Outreachy again too.

Note that in 2021, GSoC will be significantly different from the
previous years, with a focus on smaller projects (among others).

Who would be interested in mentoring students, if we do participate?

For GSoC, we have until February 19 to apply. The exact dates have not
been announced for Outreachy yet but they are similar.

Best,

Antonin

Kush Trivedi

Dec 8, 2020, 4:14:53 PM12/8/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antonin,

I can mentor upon UI, documentation content and docs site frontal ideas for GSoC, if we are thinking to participate for 2021 round.

Thanks & Regards
Kush

Tom Morris

Dec 8, 2020, 6:04:34 PM12/8/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in mentoring for GSoC 2021, but I'd like to see us do a retrospective on GSoC 2020 first. I was really surprised that there was no interest in that when I brought it up.

There's also a ton of work to be done in advance of getting to the mentoring phase in terms of breaking existing projects into smaller pieces, creating more projects ideas for people to choose from, etc, etc.

Tom

Ekta Mishra

Dec 8, 2020, 11:46:43 PM12/8/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I would love to mentor in either GSoC 2021 or Outreachy'21. I can mentor upon projects related to backend and Wikidata extension.
I agree a lot with Tom that we need to do a lot of work before getting into this stage.

best,
Ekta Mishra

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Dec 9, 2020, 1:26:17 AM12/9/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Great! Tom, do you have a link to your thread about the retrospective
you proposed? If I ignored it, it was not deliberate…

I agree that it is worth planning this a long time in advance. Coming up
with good project proposals is key, too!

Antonin
> <mailto:openrefine-dev%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/c715b3db-9caf-7e6b-a158-1d6d4dc2e067%40antonin.delpeuch.eu.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAE9vqEHWwFYLRiHm-7t%2BotcDfEGT2W5LhNpndTGBFekNHz0mJw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAE9vqEHWwFYLRiHm-7t%2BotcDfEGT2W5LhNpndTGBFekNHz0mJw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAN7m2qHFBq4QO6HVvEy0by%2BbL2%3DvZs3%3DvVfwt3AnibjUhXY7TQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAN7m2qHFBq4QO6HVvEy0by%2BbL2%3DvZs3%3DvVfwt3AnibjUhXY7TQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Tom Morris

Dec 9, 2020, 2:53:51 AM12/9/20
On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 1:26 AM Antonin Delpeuch (lists) <li...@antonin.delpeuch.eu> wrote:
Great! Tom, do you have a link to your thread about the retrospective
you proposed? If I ignored it, it was not deliberate…

Tom Morris

Dec 9, 2020, 2:56:01 AM12/9/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
That might not be accessible to everyone, but it was from Oct. 15 when the GSoC Mentors Summit was happening and said,

"On a related note, what form/media should we use for our OpenRefine GSoC retrospective / post-mortem? Email or something more interactive?"

Tom

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Dec 9, 2020, 6:12:05 AM12/9/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Ok! How about we do a retrospective here then?

I'll start: for me GSoC was a great experience, I was impressed by the
skill of our interns and I had a great time interacting with them. The
most stressful part of the process was perhaps the application period,
when suddenly we had a lot of pull requests and inquiries to respond to.

Outreachy was very nice too, I had a pretty similar experience there. If
we do it again I would ensure we propose more projects, so that
applicants have a greater range to choose from.

I sensed interest from Tom in running OpenRefine's participation in GSoC
so I intend to step back from it in 2021. If I find the time (and the
funding) I would rather focus on Outreachy.

Best,
Antonin
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAE9vqEFFTUrpF_Rba4C2qGwbu9JYB4wuT8nhAckHzhOqmFCYDw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAE9vqEFFTUrpF_Rba4C2qGwbu9JYB4wuT8nhAckHzhOqmFCYDw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Martin Magdinier

Jan 6, 2021, 12:56:06 PM1/6/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am reviving this thread as the GoSC application will open soon (Jan 19) and need to be completed by Feb 19. You can see the full timeline of the project here https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/how-it-works/#timeline
Is anyone interesting in mentoring students in 2021? What type of project do you want to submit?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/582e82e8-bec8-d5aa-e862-c891243b612a%40antonin.delpeuch.eu.

Harshit Sharma

Jan 28, 2021, 12:49:18 PM1/28/21
to OpenRefine Development
Hello,
I want to ask whether Openrefine will take part in GSOC this year.

Thanks & Regards
Harshit

Tom Morris

Feb 4, 2021, 11:18:23 PM2/4/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
So, we have two weeks to make up our minds and apply (or not). Are there any other folks interested in mentoring?

So far we have the following for potential mentor volunteers:
Ekta - GSoC or Outreachy
Kush - GSoC
Tom - GSoC
Antonin - Outreachy (maybe)

In terms of what we can improve on from last year, the biggest thing I'd like to see improved is how overcommitted we were. We had one mentor who was basically mentoring all of our interns, in addition to being project administrator for both programs, which is just a completely untenable workload. I'd like to see a dedicated mentor for each intern, with additional backup available for coverage, if necessary. If we had three people making significant commitments, we might be able to manage two interns -- and we should pick a single program to focus on.

For this year, I'm conflicted, because I believe strongly in GSoC, but I'd also like to get OpenRefine 3.5 out the door (containing the work that last year's interns did), and I don't want to commit to the program unless we think we can do it well.

What do folks think? Do we still have time to get ourselves organized to do a great job for a couple of interns (or even one)? How much time do folks have to contribute over the course of the program?

Tom

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Feb 5, 2021, 1:04:14 PM2/5/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the summary!

The deadline to apply for Outreachy as a project is March 1st, but we
are unlikely to have funding available by then, so I think we can skip
this round.

For GSOC, would it make sense to gather a list of project ideas, to see
if there is enough interest on the mentors' side? Last year we had this:
https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/wiki/GSoC-2020%C2%A0Ideas
These 4 proposals felt like not a lot, perhaps it could be useful to
have more diversity.

Antonin

On 05/02/2021 05:18, Tom Morris wrote:
> [...]
> with additional backup available for coverage, if necessary. If we had
> three people making significant commitments, we might be able to manage
> two interns -- and we should pick a single program to focus on.
>
> For this year, I'm conflicted, because I believe strongly in GSoC, but
> I'd also like to get OpenRefine 3.5 out the door (containing the work
> *that* last year's interns did), and I don't want to commit to the
> > <mailto:tfmo...@gmail.com <mailto:tfmo...@gmail.com>>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 1:26 AM Antonin Delpeuch (lists)
> >     <li...@antonin.delpeuch.eu
> <mailto:li...@antonin.delpeuch.eu>
> <mailto:li...@antonin.delpeuch.eu
> <mailto:li...@antonin.delpeuch.eu>>> wrote:
> >
> >         Great! Tom, do you have a link to your thread about the
> >         retrospective
> >         you proposed? If I ignored it, it was not deliberate…

Tom Morris

Feb 19, 2021, 1:53:59 AM2/19/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
With 12 hours to the deadline, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of traction on creating project ideas by potential mentors, so I'm inclined to suggest that we skip this year. That's perhaps understandable since we over extended ourselves last year.

If there are folks who'd really like to mentor this year, I'm happy to take care of the administrative side of things and have an application that's basically ready to submit except for the project ideas. To make this happen, we would need:

- 1 or 2 committed mentors with 1 or 2 project ideas (3-4 project ideas total)
- a backup administrator (we need a minimum of two)

We would probably shoot for just a single student, so we don't need a ton of project ideas, but they should be things which a) benefit the project and b) the mentors believe in, understand, and can effectively mentor for. The time commitment for the students (and mentors) is less this year, so the projects should be targeted for roughly half of last year's size (10 weeks @18 hours/week). There's an empty project ideas page here: https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code-(GSoC)-2021-Project-Ideas

This message isn't to push people to want to apply, it's just a last call for action if you do. I'm comfortable with either decision.

Tom

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/cc68a0fd-2cf8-5026-73b1-c5b820e9ac75%40antonin.delpeuch.eu.

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Feb 20, 2021, 10:18:03 AM2/20/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

I think it's a good call - we are already struggling a bit with the
existing influx of new contributors so we definitely don't have the
bandwidth for more.

Best,
Antonin