Migrating from Dependabot to Renovate

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Oct 16, 2021, 3:45:20 AM10/16/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

For quite some time, I have been hoping that Dependabot could bundle
some pull requests together.

For instance, updates to the dependencies of our docs do not need to be
done that frequently, and updating every single dependency there in an
individual commit creates quite a lot of noise in the commit log. It
also pollutes our list of open pull requests.

Dependabot does not support grouped updates yet, and the designated
replacement for this seems to be "Renovate":
https://github.com/renovatebot/renovate

In addition to supporting this, it also seems to be open source and
usable on other platforms than GitHub, so switching to that would also
reduce our vendor lock-in a tiny bit.

So I propose to try out Renovate for a bit. Thoughts?

Antonin

Thad Guidry

Oct 16, 2021, 9:16:13 AM10/16/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Did you try it on your repo fork? Easy enough to change back?

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Oct 18, 2021, 1:33:10 AM10/18/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com

Hi Thad,

It is definitely easy to change back, since we should just need to restore the Dependabot config file.

It could indeed make sense to try it out on my fork first, though.

Antonin