Hosting OpenRefine downloads on mirrors?

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Jan 13, 2021, 4:29:17 AM1/13/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I was just trying to figure out if there was a problem with our
Windows+Java package (following this tweet:
https://twitter.com/miriamkp/status/1349038007291060226
<https://twitter.com/miriamkp/status/1349038007291060226>) and realized
that downloading this artifact takes ages! I have noticed in the past
that downloading artifacts from GitHub releases can be pretty slow. So I
am wondering if we should consider mirroring these files elsewhere. Does
anyone know good alternatives? Ideally, a system to find a nearby mirror
would be convenient too.

Best,

ANtonin

Thad Guidry

Jan 13, 2021, 8:55:49 AM1/13/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
TL;DR
So I don't think it is a problem with GitHub at all (GitHub easily served it to me at my very fast rate) but perhaps your ISPs and your service plan with them or their download throttling?

it took 4 secs for that 152 MB file for me on gigabit fiber where my download speed is usually around 940 Mbps

So I don't think we need to worry about mirrors at all.  Besides, GitHub Releases are already mirrored around the world through Amazon S3 buckets.
Here was the server that it automatically downloaded from for me when I viewed the Network tab on Firefox when I downloaded the file and saw the request / response and the host:
  github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com

GitHub Packages (Azure Artifacts) which are not GitHub Releases but different are pushed out to Azure CDN and Content Storage (but I think still use Amazon S3 also depending on where you live and get routed to).
Azure has locations all over as well https://status.azure.com/en-us/status

Tom Morris

Jan 13, 2021, 10:10:47 AM1/13/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
I tried one of the Windows snapshot kits and it took 7.3 seconds on a ~300 Mb/s WiFi connection with a 5 year old laptop, so I agree that the issue is unlikely to be on the Github side of things (unless it was transient).

Tom

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Jan 13, 2021, 10:14:59 AM1/13/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com