HacktoberFest

Tom Morris

Sep 30, 2020, 11:27:19 AM9/30/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
There was a question on Gitter about whether or not we should participate in Hacktoberfest this year.

Basically contributors need to create (not get approved) 4 non-spam PRs across the set of all qualified repositories between October 1 and October 31. All repos are "qualified" except for those which have been explicitly blacklisted.

Organizations need to:
* curate a set of issues with the tag "Hacktober"
* label invalid/spammy PRs as "invalid" within 7 days to disqualify them from scoring

While there's no requirement to get PRs reviewed & merged or to mentor contributors, obviously that would be the best way to engage new contributors and encourage them to stick around.

Does anyone have any experience with the quality of contributions from previous Hacktoberfests on other projects? What do people think about OpenRefine joining this year?

Tom

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Oct 1, 2020, 2:21:15 AM10/1/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
No strong feelings for or against on my side. If we participate I should
be able to help triaging and reviewing things.

Antonin
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAE9vqEFgHnEVLdWJiu_ue%3DNq4MfvJx3%3DNH4Xb7fQZ-r%3DE6SrHw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAE9vqEFgHnEVLdWJiu_ue%3DNq4MfvJx3%3DNH4Xb7fQZ-r%3DE6SrHw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Ekta Mishra

Oct 1, 2020, 2:40:04 AM10/1/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Tom for putting this over here. I believe it will be a nice thing to welcome new contributors to the community.
Surely, it will be a bit hectic thing to review those PRs and more than that guiding the beginners and first-time contributors with community guidelines and resolving their doubts & queries.

If we participate, I'll try my best to help new contributors resolving their queries and make their 1st PR.

Best,
Ekta Mishra

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/b1e6db27-97e1-ca0f-a0d7-b30d7f7dbf1c%40antonin.delpeuch.eu.

Thad Guidry

Oct 1, 2020, 9:23:21 AM10/1/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Oh thank you for that offer Ekta !!!

Martin Magdinier

Oct 1, 2020, 7:23:35 PM10/1/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Ekta for helping on that front.
Looks like this is generating spam for other project  this article offers tips to deal with it https://blog.domenic.me/hacktoberfest/

Thad Guidry

Oct 1, 2020, 7:51:52 PM10/1/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
I personally think we'll be safe.  The comments within that article were telling...generally, if you have a big noticeable project the spam is increased, if you are small it's quite manageable.
For instance an open source software for FRC first robotics competition that is often used has only 1 (spam) PR today.
https://github.com/wpilibsuite/RobotBuilder/pull/253/files

It's extremely unlikely that we'll get 10 spam per hour like the biggest multi-repo projects.
I think we'll be quite fine.  And I'll happily monitor the PR's for spam, and I'm sure Ekta and others will as well.

Tom Morris

Oct 1, 2020, 9:22:33 PM10/1/20
On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 7:23 PM Martin Magdinier <martin.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

Looks like this is generating spam for other project  this article offers tips to deal with it https://blog.domenic.me/hacktoberfest/

That's something I was afraid of, which is why I was asking if anyone had past experiences. It sounds like things are worse this year than in the past though.

It looks like I misinterpreted the rules. The "hacktoberfest" labels aren't mandatory and the promotion isn't opt-in, so we're "participating" whether we like it or not.

We've had two spam PRs so far - one deleting the blank line between two sections of the log4j config file and one changing the height of the logo by a few pixels.

I guess we'll just have to hope that the volume stays low.

Tom

Thad Guidry

Oct 1, 2020, 9:33:07 PM10/1/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
DOH!  Well in that case Tom... Hmm, maybe we should stay low under the radar and not promote for this year with the extra tags, since we're already a public repo and wide open for spam from any direction that is trying to get a T-shirt.
Oh well, so be it... hopefully we don't get much spam.

However, if you devs decide not to promote I do hope we still get some good contributions.

It's honestly up to the 3 or 4 of you who want to tag the promotion for hacktoberfest.
Bowing out of this convo now.
Good luck devs!

Tom Morris

Oct 15, 2020, 2:21:27 PM10/15/20
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Apparently due to the backlash from the opensource projects, Digital Ocean switched this opt-in only.

That means that we shouldn't be getting any more drive-by PRs, since they won't count, but also means that we need to tag things (or the repo) if we want to participate.

Tom