Wikidata editing and duplicate or conflicting edits

Thad Guidry

May 19, 2021, 12:35:20 PM5/19/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
I've been looking through the Structured Data on Commons grant proposed work (and some of the optionals that Sandra Fauconnier and Antonin marked) and thinking about a few things.  I also checked a few things on what we described with our existing handling of Wikidata edits on our docs.

OpenRefine produces no warnings as to whether your data replicates or conflicts with existing Wikidata elements.

Is this something that we might need to address for GLAM's?  Let's think about that.
If we do, then maybe a user preference option to control?

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

May 19, 2021, 2:36:53 PM5/19/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thad,

Various people are actively working on this issue. WMDE is working on a
new editing API which "reconciles" statements when adding them:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikibase_open_next/

I have also proposed something along these lines in the Wikimedia Hackathon:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T282796

In short I don't think the solution to this problem is via the quality
assurance features, but rather by improving the editing mechanism so
that it gets better at merging statements.

Antonin

On 19/05/2021 18:35, Thad Guidry wrote:
> I've been looking through the Structured Data on Commons grant proposed
> work (and some of the optionals that Sandra Fauconnier and Antonin
> marked) and thinking about a few things.  I also checked a few things on
> what we described with our existing handling of Wikidata edits on our
> docs
> <https://docs.openrefine.org/manual/wikidata#editing-wikidata-with-openrefine>.
>
> OpenRefine produces no warnings as to whether your data replicates
> or conflicts with existing Wikidata elements.
>

> Is this something that we might need to address for GLAM's?  Let's think
> about that.
> If we do, then maybe a user preference option to control?
>
> Thad
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry/
> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry/>
> https://calendly.com/thadguidry/ <https://calendly.com/thadguidry/>
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAChbWaMUbnaAe-zUKxkTVHCULVNzx4eG81Cw0OaGxEsvUCWx%2BQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/CAChbWaMUbnaAe-zUKxkTVHCULVNzx4eG81Cw0OaGxEsvUCWx%2BQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Thad Guidry

May 19, 2021, 3:54:57 PM5/19/21
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks for the links.

Agree this is essentially a merging issue for duplicate or conflicting data.  (Just like Git merges)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openrefine-dev/70ad6846-677d-a2f5-61b7-3bdbaff05f95%40antonin.delpeuch.eu.

Antoine Beaubien

May 19, 2021, 4:03:29 PM5/19/21
to OpenRefine Development
Hi Thad,

   Regarding this:
Le mercredi 19 mai 2021 à 12 h 35 min 20 s UTC-4, Thad Guidry a écrit :
OpenRefine produces no warnings as to whether your data replicates or conflicts with existing Wikidata elements.

   I know this would help me. One way I try to mitigate limitation around that is by querying existing data first. It's longer, but I help managing conflict because some operation can be done with QS. It is much longer though. So it's not a fix, it's more of a workaround for me.

Regards,
   Antoine

Thad Guidry

May 19, 2021, 4:23:15 PM5/19/21