introductions - start of new project (Structured Data on Commons support in OpenRefine)

Sandra Fauconnier

Sep 3, 2021, 6:51:26 AM9/3/21
to OpenRefine Development
Hello everyone,

A few days ago, development has started on a new project: support for editing and uploading Structured Data on Commons in OpenRefine, funded by a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation (which some of you have actively supported - thank you!). It tackles ticket #2144 and will take approximately a year of work. You can read more about the project in the grant proposal, check its timeline, and see ongoing work in the GitHub project, and on Wikimedia's Phabricator (1) (2) (all still in startup phase of course).

Some introductions...

I'm Sandra, long-term Wikimedian, quite active OpenRefine user + member of its steering committee. I've somehow been tricked into becoming the "product owner/manager" for this adventure, and will do my very best to help it go smoothly :-)

On September 1, Eugene Egbe has started working as a contracted developer for the Wikimedia side of the code (i.e. Wikimedia Commons-specific reconciliation service + batch upload functionalities). We couldn't think of someone better to do this, as Eugene has more than earned his stripes with earlier tooling around Structured Data on Commons, most notably the (very actively used) ISA tool for tagging images with structured data.

In November, another developer will join the team, who will work on the OpenRefine codebase / side of things. We'll introduce her as she gets on board as well!

And Antonin is kind enough to keep a close eye on us and help us get started :-)

It's quite likely that we'll reach out to you all on this mailing list in the future again. Needless to say: any input or tips for us re: ongoing work will be warmly welcomed :-)

Cheers,
Sandra

Thad Guidry

Sep 3, 2021, 8:42:18 AM9/3/21