OpenRefine for Everyone?

Tom Morris

Oct 25, 2022, 1:31:19 PM10/25/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
I discovered this buried in the wiki while looking for a place to update the coding conventions:

which says it's going to tackle:
  1. Improvements to date parsing with better support for non-Western date formats
  2. Improvements to number parsing with locale support
  3. Generalization of the reconciliation API to expose service-defined features
  4. Localization of parts of the UI which cannot be translated yet for architectural reasons
  5. Implementation of clustering heuristics suitable for non-latin alphabets
  6. Better support for legacy encodings
I'm not sure where the list came from, but is there any more detail associated with it? Apologies if I missed it somewhere. For example, how is #1 different from the enhancement request (#729) that we implemented 9+ years ago? #5 is a giant, and very vague, task. There are *many* non-Latin alphabets with some used for multiple languages (languages are the important part for clustering). I'm pretty familiar with the encoding support, but the shorthand in #6 doesn't ring a bell with me and I don't see anything relevant at

I would hope that the first step would be to create a well groomed & curated set of issues in the issue tracker. There was recently some discussion of #2, but I haven't seen anyone except update/create related issues.

I may not have a diverse enough background to provide input😁, but some of the things that I'd like to see include:

Transliteration is another topic we've discussed in the past and I could probably come up with a bunch more localization ideas with a little thought.

Tom

magdmartin

Oct 25, 2022, 2:39:24 PM10/25/22
to OpenRefine Development
Tom,

We have not determined yet how to spend the budget and feedback, ideas are very welcome.

Tom Morris

Oct 25, 2022, 5:53:17 PM10/25/22
to openref...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link, Martin. I had totally missed that thread.

Tom