Back-end Localization

Elroy Koeniv

Jun 23, 2022, 12:29:23 PMJun 23
to OpenRefine Development

Hello everyone!

I am Elroy Kanye from Cameroon, an intern for OpenRefine at Outreachy Internships in May 2022. For this course of Outreachy, I will be working on back-end localization, providing facilities for translating messages from the back-end of this tool to other languages :)

https://groups.google.com/g/openrefine/c/b0p827Ee-0M/m/h0wu5qBBBAAJ

One of my tasks with Antonin was to identify those parts of OpenRefine which need a translation. This needed me to work with OpenRefine from a user's perspective. However, I acknowledge that I may not be able to get everything. That said, I wish to plead with developers of OpenRefine who have used this tool too, to help provide those areas of this tool which they would love to see in their language.

Below are some examples I was able to identify:

  • History entries for Undo/Redo: Every entry in project action history in the undo/redo tab.
    • Heads-up notification when an action such as a transform or single-cell edit is made.
    • Notifications and histories on column movement or column/cell edit operations
  • All GREL syntax errors.
  • Names of facets on reconciliation.
  • Descriptions of all GREL functions and expressions
  • Evaluation errors of all GREL functions and expressions
  • On project creation with a CSV file lacking headers – default column names are not translated.

You could suggest this as a message in response to this. Thanks very much and looking forward to your responses :)