AIRS Board Recommendations on Resource Database Inter-Operability and All Things Suchlike

1 view

Clive Jones

Nov 21, 2018, 11:22:53 AM11/21/18
to openre...@googlegroups.com
Dear Greg and Friends,

Before posting some lengthy news, the contextual piece is that AIRS at www.airs.org is an international association of Information and Referral (I&R) service providers. It is a 501(c)(3) incorporated in 1973 to improve quality access to human services for everyone through the art and science of I&R. AIRS addresses this goal through the development of professional standards, the operation of credentialing programs for both individuals and organizations, and its training, networking and support functions ... yada yada ...

More to the point, the following went out to our 900-odd organizational members yesterday:

AIRS Board Recommendations for Resource Database Inter-operability

THE SHORT STORY

The AIRS Board has passed three motions aimed at improving the inter-operability of I&R resource database records. The aim is to create a secure, controlled and affordable process for I&R organizations that choose to securely move resource database records from their own software system into another system.

The motions recommend that:

  1. the AIRS Standards adopt new technical options such as the Human Services Data Specification (HSDS) and the Human Service Data API (HSDA)
  1. I&R software providers integrate the HSDS and HSDA into their platforms, and that AIRS will provide governance/leadership to enable ‘real-world’ compliance
  1. AIRS works with our technical partners to validate and promote compliance with these new interoperability standards

THE PROCESS

The first motion was passed by the AIRS Board in June 2018, with the Board requesting that the content of the first motion and the two pending ones be shared with I&R vendors for comment and/or technical advice. This process was completed without any requested changes. The AIRS Board then passed the other two motions at its recent November meeting.

THE MOTIONS

  1. The AIRS Board recommends that emerging technical options that allow for the interoperable exchange of community resource data (such as a structure conforming to the Human Service Data Specification (HSDS) and the Human Service Data API (HSDA)) be incorporated into the AIRS Standards, subject to further exploration and approval of the AIRS Standards Committee.
  1. The AIRS Board recommends that I&R software providers integrate their platforms to allow interoperable exchange of community resource data such as HSDS/A (as according to emerging AIRS Standards).  AIRS will engage in governance leadership of any adaptations that evolve with HSDS/A (without changing open-source licensing conditions) in order to enable ‘real-world’ compliance with the needs of I&R resource database providers.
  1. The AIRS Board recommends that AIRS works with our technical partners at the appropriate time to develop a process to validate compliance to these new industry interoperability standards (i.e. the ability of I&R software providers to move human service data between different operating systems in a common, efficient and cost-effective manner.)

THE LONG STORY (aka … WHY ARE WE DOING THIS)

AIRS has always supported the inter-operability of resource data. More than a decade ago, the AIRS XML Schema provided a means to move I&R resource data from one I&R software to another. However, this was only through ‘extract and load’ and was before the proliferation of APIs.

APIs allow for (with permission) the ‘pulling’ of specific data on a real-time basis from one system to another. Once the data is viewed and closed, so is the connection. If the data is changed and retrieved the next day, the user views the latest version.

The Human Service Data Specification is the most widely accepted format for organizing the fields and elements of a human service resource database record (i.e. the information that contains details about the organization that provides services, the locations from which those services are available, and the programs/services themselves).  The Specification was developed by the Open Referral collaborative, and over the past 2-3 years has been increasingly adopted by governments, nonprofit organizations and commercial vendors in the US health and human services sector, as well as in other countries.

The Human Service Data API is a mechanism through which resource data in the HSDS format can be drawn directly from a data source (such as an I&R agency database) to a data user (such as a hospital system that has a license to draw that data from the I&R). This resource data is only accessible for that single ‘look-up’ and does not permanently reside on the user’s system. If the data record is changed the next day and the data user wants to view that record, the fresh version is called up (in the same way a Google map might be called up on your own system).

A standard I&R data schema and API would:

  • Make it easier for I&Rs to secure contracts with health institutions and other partners that are not currently possible, or that involve a costly investment. We are aware of dozens of I&Rs that are not able to even begin these types of negotiations because the technical circumstances are currently too challenging
  • Reduce the duplication of state and national records, as it could facilitate a system whereby a single record is maintained by one I&R but accessible to all.  Also, within a community, there are probably many instances of ADRCs and 211s collecting the same information – or if they are dividing the work – having to go onto each other’s websites to look for resources
  • Allow I&R data to help more people in more ways. Right now, our resource data is accessible in terms of its free public use, but it is encumbered by people needing to go to one place in order to view it. It cannot reach people through other means and systems. Our data should have the ability to become more ‘mobile/unshackled/unleashed’ in ways that meet emerging expectations, and opens up new opportunities

  • Permit I&R providers to exercise choice in controlling the access to all or some of their resource database records (e.g. potentially – if desired – for free under agreed 'fair use' criteria, or – if desired – through escalating paywalls for certain clients with certain requirements)

  • Ensure, as far as possible, that resource records cannot be changed or re-engineered by other entities and that the data ownership/stewardship is clearly acknowledged/recognized

AND FOR THE RECORD …

  • An I&R does not have to get involved with this unless it wants to. This technical advance just gives you the choice should you ever wish to exercise it.

  • AIRS does not want your resource data.!!

(Any incorrect technology statements are purely my own ! -- Clive Jones, AIRS)

Greg Bloom

Nov 21, 2018, 11:27:30 AM11/21/18
to openre...@googlegroups.com
Clive, this is great news! Thank you for sharing this with us – and congratulations on your well-deserved new leadership role at AIRS :)

Soon I'll have all kinds of questions about what might happen next... but for now:

let's be thankful! 🙏🏻

Here's to a great holiday for all,
greg

Greg Bloom

Dec 3, 2018, 10:10:00 AM12/3/18
to openre...@googlegroups.com
Just quickly following up on this thread to share the blog post that Clive published this morning on our site: https://openreferral.org/airs-recommends-open-referral-for-resource-database-interoperability/

Thanks again, Clive! Looking forward to what comes next :)