How to get all train timings for one day?

Harrison Boyns

Oct 22, 2022, 12:21:52 PM10/22/22
Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well.

I want get all the train timings for a day? So say if I wanted all the train timings for the 21st of October 2022 how would I go about this?

I am reading HSP documentation and it seems one can only go after particular journeys as opposed to retrieving a whole data set?

Is the historical data not stored in say an s3 bucket or the likes?

Thanks,

Harrison

Peter Hicks

Oct 22, 2022, 1:56:22 PM10/22/22
Hello

HSP is geared up for individual trains and journeys rather than all data by day.

If you want data for all trains that ran on a day, grab an archive of (or subscribe to) the train movements feed on the NR Open Data platform.

If you just want to know what was planned to run, grab one of the JSON full extracts of the schedule data for the day before and work out which services were valid for the day in question.

Peter

Lewis Gill

Oct 23, 2022, 6:03:47 AM10/23/22
Hi Peter,

Is there a publicly available archive of the TD data available?

Kind regards,

Lewis

Legolash2o

Oct 23, 2022, 10:22:15 AM10/23/22
Hi Lewis,

If you want a specific day/week for train movement file with CIF schedule, just let me know and I can send you those. :)

Regards,
Liam

Harrison Boyns

Oct 24, 2022, 12:25:45 PM10/24/22
Hi Peter,

Thanks for that. Does the NR Open Data platform also contained expected arrivals and actual arrivals at destinations?

Cheers,

Douglas Fraser

Oct 26, 2022, 8:12:14 AM10/26/22
Hi Lewis,

https://cdn.area51.onl/archive/rail/td/  is a public S3 bucket that is storing archives of the TD data.  The index pages are broken but 2022 data is still there and being updated. You just need to construct the right URL

As for expected and actual arrivals, that can be found in the DARWIN archives of area51 - one TBZ2 file of all the DARWIN messages for the day. You will need to boil down the DARWIN messages to find that information for each individual train. The HSP is something of a summary of expected/arrival, but it is unfortunate (but expected) that it doesn't support bulk operations easily - so you need to process the DARWIN ones.

Doug

petermount

Oct 26, 2022, 9:26:25 AM10/26/22
Please warn me if you after a bulk download rather than the odd file as that ends up costing me quite a bit with S3 export charges ;-)

I can organize an alternate download if needed.

The archive is up to date with yesterday's content uploaded this morning.

Peter

Harrison Boyns

Oct 26, 2022, 5:03:32 PM10/26/22
Hi All,

Firstly once again a big thanks for being so helpful lads. Really very kind. I think I will give the NR platform a go. From what I understand from Peter Hicks this is the best platform to retrieve this information from as it supports bulk retrievals.

Let me summarise my ( lay ) understanding:

1. Subscribe to NR for all train movements.
2. Compare NR train's again Schedule.

Basically HSP is for singular train calls. Just seems to me strange that the data is not archived on a per day basis. Seems to make a fair bit of sense to do that.

Area51 looks awesome but don't wanna nail you with costs and it's a good learning exercise for me to wade through the various apis.

Just kinda confusing at first! Is there an acronym list of stations somewhere as well - imagine that is in the static ?

Cheers,

Harrison Boyns

Oct 26, 2022, 5:07:47 PM10/26/22
Plus is there limit on how much we can query the platform?
Message has been deleted

Maithili Mehta

Nov 2, 2022, 2:38:53 AM11/2/22
Hi Peter, I'd like to get the Darwin archives. for the last week of July and first two weeks of August - so close to a bulk download :) - would I be able to organise an alternate download?
Thanks,
Maithili

Lewis Gill

Nov 9, 2022, 10:06:35 AM11/9/22
Hi Peter,

It would be great to organise a bulk download with you.  What's the best way to do this?

Kind regards,

Lewis