API for Finding Historical Record of all Stations Passed Through Within a Multi-Leg Journey

Drake Deaton

Jun 27, 2022, 10:27:36 AM6/27/22
Hi everyone,

I've been looking at some of the available train APIs (RTJP, LDB, HSP...) and I can't find a clear answer for my use case.

Using a starting station, an ending station, a journey start time, and a journey end time, between any two UK train stations, I'd like to be able to find all the train stations which a historical train journey passed through.

Does anyone have any advice on which API/endpoints I could use to find out this information?

Thanks in advance!

Drake

Peter Hicks

Jun 27, 2022, 10:29:35 AM6/27/22
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Drake

I'm not aware anything like this exists as an 'open' product.  You might be looking at processing a load of historical train movement data and working it out for yourself.

Peter

Drake Deaton

Jun 28, 2022, 4:24:05 PM6/28/22
Hi Peter - thanks for your quick response.

Interesting that sounds like a project that'd certainly keep me busy for a couple weeks.

What if I was just interested in which train operating company was responsible for running that line? Is that information accessible, given a starting station, an ending station, a journey start time, and a journey end time?

Thanks,
Drake

Evelyn Snow

Jun 28, 2022, 5:16:15 PM6/28/22
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Drake

I'm afraid again this is quite likely to be data you'd have to extract
yourself, particularly if you were interested in historical data.

Evelyn

2022-06-28T13:24:05-0700 Drake Deaton <drake.s...@gmail.com>:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openraildata-talk/776723c1-d73d-409f-88b6-0f3d4e744d64n%40googlegroups.com.

Drake Deaton

Jun 28, 2022, 5:39:03 PM6/28/22
Thanks for the info Evelyn.

That's a shame to hear as the HSP API is quite inefficient to query!

All best,
Drake