KnowledgeBase Live Incidents Feed

Malcolm Bovey

Nov 9, 2021, 11:33:54 AM11/9/21

Does anyone else have a subscription to the KnowledgeBase Live Incidents feed?  I recently setup a listener service to this expecting this to be a continuous feed of individual incident messages.  Instead it seems like the messages are sent in "batches" of 20-30 messages that are sent approx. every 8 hours, after which my client seems to get disconnected from the feed.  Just wondering if anyone can confirm if this is "normal" behaviour?

Thanks
Message has been deleted

Matt Jones

Nov 9, 2021, 11:57:55 AM11/9/21

No, this is not normal. I've been subscribing to this feed for some months and normally messages are pushed as and when they are created/modified by NRES. This can be observed by comparing changes with what's on nationalrail.co.uk.

I note that the static incidents document (https://opendata.nationalrail.co.uk/api/staticfeeds/5.0/incidents) is also out of date.

This behaviour of "batching" has started in the last few days or so.

I have raised this as a ticket with CACI (https://caci.freshservice.com/support/tickets/26717)

So glad I am not the only one! :-)

Matt

Malcolm Bovey

Nov 9, 2021, 12:19:00 PM11/9/21
Thanks - good to know and typical of my luck to start subscribing just as it breaks!   Hopefully CACI fix it soon

Matt Jones

Nov 9, 2021, 12:30:06 PM11/9/21
I'll post on here with any updates.

Matt Jones

Nov 9, 2021, 12:35:28 PM11/9/21
As a matter of interest, what client are you using to connect? I'm connecting using C#/dotnet with the Apache NMS library.

Malcolm Bovey

Nov 9, 2021, 3:55:32 PM11/9/21
I'm using a Python-baed client using Stomp.py, running on AWS Fargate.  I was able to use pretty much the same container I use to subscribe to Darwin PushPort with a few tweaks.

Matt Jones

Nov 10, 2021, 6:03:55 AM11/10/21
OK that's cool. Am using dotnet here, so at least that proves it's not a problem with the client stack.

Matt Jones

Nov 11, 2021, 8:00:34 AM11/11/21
Are there anyone working for NRES (or with contacts at NRES) who can help push a solution along? I've raised a ticket with CACI and provided them with detail but I'm not sure anything is being done. If anyone can help get some movement on this I would be extremely grateful.

Matt

Peter Hicks

Nov 11, 2021, 8:12:35 AM11/11/21
Hi Matt

Can you describe the impact it's having on your systems? That usually gets a response!

Peter

OpenTrainTimes Ltd. registered in England and Wales, company no. 09504022.
Registered office: Suite 1-3, Hop Exchange, 24 Southwark Street, London SE1 1TY

Matt Jones

Nov 11, 2021, 8:21:04 AM11/11/21
Thanks Peter.

I've put this on the CACI ticket.

It means that an incident (a new or updated incident) may not be distributed to consumers for up to two hours, which means that consuming systems may be up to two hours out of date at any point in time. For instance, if an incident is cleared at 1pm and not sent out to consumers until 3pm - for two hours consumers (and their users) will think that the incident is still ongoing, when it's all gone!

Malcolm Bovey

Nov 11, 2021, 9:04:29 AM11/11/21

If it helps, here is a visual display of how activity on the feed has looked over the past few days - long periods of inactivity with occasional sudden spikes before immediately falling back to zero

Screenshot 2021-11-11 at 14.02.48.png

Matt Jones

Nov 11, 2021, 11:38:15 AM11/11/21
Here's my chart which goes back a little further. You can clearly see a change in the profile of how incidents are received around November 5th/6th (Friday/Saturday)

nresincidents.png

Matt Jones

Nov 12, 2021, 7:28:01 AM11/12/21
CACI writes...

"Hi Matt,

We investigated this issue and determined that this was an upstream problem. We were in the process of reporting this to National Rail but has since recieved a notification from their Service Desk that there is an issue causing out of data information on the KB feed. They are currently investigating this."

 Hopefully resolved soon.

Matt

Malcolm Bovey

Nov 12, 2021, 10:17:19 AM11/12/21
Yes, saw there was an email to the National Rail list at 1325 claiming that the issue has been resolved.  However within the last few minutes another batch of 11 message has arrived all at once, so I'm not so sure!

Malcolm Bovey

Nov 12, 2021, 1:06:09 PM11/12/21
Another burst just came through, definitely doesn't seem to be fixed :(

Matt Jones

Nov 12, 2021, 2:53:35 PM11/12/21
Yeah same here. I'll find someone at NR to chase it with.

Matt Jones

Nov 16, 2021, 2:18:58 AM11/16/21
Hmm. Looks like incidents are starting to come through separately and not in batches. Are you seeing the same thing Malcolm?

Malcolm Bovey

Nov 16, 2021, 3:28:17 AM11/16/21
Yes the behaviour is definitely looking more like how I expected, although I wasn't subscribing to the feed when things were "normal" so don't have a reference.  I'll keep an eye on it

Malcolm Bovey

Nov 16, 2021, 5:08:40 AM11/16/21
I'm still finding my client is getting regularly disconnected from the feed, about once an hour.  Is this happening for you too?  Perhaps I need to set a higher heartbeat timeout, but I have no problems running (essentially) the same code to subscribe to Darwin PushPort

Matt Jones

Nov 16, 2021, 5:16:56 AM11/16/21
Hmm. I don't seem to be getting that - I'm running dotnet inside a docker container using the Apache NMS dotnet client. I need to put in a bit more logging because I don't think I can actually see if it is disconnecting.

Are you ACK'ing the messages when they are received?

Malcolm Bovey

Nov 16, 2021, 5:37:24 AM11/16/21
Yes, ACKing all the messages as they come in.  My client is configured to automatically reconnect so it's not really a problem but would ideally this behaviour would not occur.  Perhaps the heartbeat timeout of 15s is too low for such a low volume feed.

Malcolm Bovey

Nov 16, 2021, 12:50:33 PM11/16/21
After a brief period of "normal" behaviour this morning, the feed seems to have reverted to posting messages in batches

Screenshot 2021-11-16 at 17.49.19.png

Matt Jones

Nov 16, 2021, 1:54:53 PM11/16/21
I see the same thing :-(

I'll re-open the ticket.

Malcolm Bovey

Nov 18, 2021, 2:40:28 PM11/18/21
Looks like there has been some improvement since 1800 this evening.  Hopefully more sustained than last time!

Matt Jones

Dec 1, 2021, 3:18:53 PM12/1/21
An update on this.

I re-opened the ticket (26717) with CACI on Wednesday 17th November and indeed the incidents started flowing again.

They asked me today whether I'd be happy to close the ticket; I agreed since the feed had been well-behaved since then.

Then this afternoon, more or less as soon as the ticket was closed, it started happening again. It's starting to feel like someone is doing this deliberately :-(

I've reopened the ticket and offered my help to CACI and National Rail so we can solve this on a more permanent basis.

Matt

nrbatches.png

Malcolm Bovey

Dec 1, 2021, 3:28:38 PM12/1/21
to Openraildata-Talk
Hi Matt,

Yes, exactly the same experience here :(