Assistance needed with accessing TRUST Data

Kangrui Tan

Apr 17, 2024, 6:50:54 AMApr 17
Hi all,

I am new to this gorup and the data sources. I'm reaching out for assistance regarding accessing data from TRUST.

I have followed the steps outlined on the GitHub page at https://github.com/openraildata/td-trust-example-python3 to set up and retrieve the data. However, when running the command 'python main.py --trust', I encountered the error message "could not connect to host publicdatafeeds.networkrail.co.uk, port 61618".

Could you please provide guidance or assistance on resolving this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I am interested in obtaining historical records of train movement at each station. Could you advise on how to access and retrieve this relevant data?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and support.

Regards,
Kang

Peter Hicks (Poggs)

Apr 17, 2024, 6:59:03 AMApr 17
Hi Kang

On 17 Apr 2024, at 11:50, Kangrui Tan <propr...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am new to this gorup and the data sources. I'm reaching out for assistance regarding accessing data from TRUST.

Hello and welcome - I’m sorry your message yesterday didn’t get through.  Google Groups flagged it as spam and didn’t send any notification, then subsequently flagged a blatant spam message as not spam.

I have followed the steps outlined on the GitHub page at https://github.com/openraildata/td-trust-example-python3 to set up and retrieve the data. However, when running the command 'python main.py --trust', I encountered the error message "could not connect to host publicdatafeeds.networkrail.co.uk, port 61618".

It’s possible your outbound access is being blocked by a firewall - is this a machine on a corporate network?  If you have ’telnet’ available, try:

This should respond like this if the connection is allowed:

pwh@piccadilly:~% telnet publicdatafeeds.networkrail.co.uk 61618
Trying 18.135.122.120...
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

If the connection isn’t allowed, you’ll just see:

pwh@piccadilly:~% telnet publicdatafeeds.networkrail.co.uk 61620
Trying 18.135.122.120...

Several seconds later, you may see:

telnet: connect to address 18.135.122.120: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Alternatively, you may see the following come up instantly:

telnet: connect to address 18.135.122.120: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Either of these situations means there’s a device on your host or network blocking access.

What sort of machine are you running on?  If it’s Windows, outbound connections from Python may be blocked by Windows Firewall.  If you’re using a VPN to connect to a corporate environment (for example), you may be required to use a proxy server to access things on the Internet, so you’ll need to contact your IT team.

Additionally, I am interested in obtaining historical records of train movement at each station. Could you advise on how to access and retrieve this relevant data?

There isn’t an official set of ‘actual’ times at each station, but several people on this list have archived data and make it freely available.

Peter

Kangrui Tan

Apr 17, 2024, 7:13:14 AMApr 17
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your prompt response and guidance. I will try the suggestions you provided to resolve the connection issue.

Thank you again for your support.

Regards,
Kang

Regards,