Darwin Unexpected Server Error

Alexander MacLeod

Jul 7, 2021, 12:13:43 PM7/7/21
Hi all,

I have noticed a number of requests to Darwin, specifically GetDepartureBoard, returning an Unexpected Server Error. This issue seems to be intermittent (a few retries and a successful response will often be received) and is not specific to an individual station.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><soap:Body><soap:Fault><soap:Code><soap:Value>soap:Receiver</soap:Value></soap:Code><soap:Reason><soap:Text xml:lang="en">Unexpected server error</soap:Text></soap:Reason><soap:Detail /></soap:Fault></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>

Not only is this affecting my app, but a quick test with other applications available show that they too are suffering from a similar issue.

Would someone be able to look into this? Many thanks for your help in advance.

Peter Hicks

Jul 7, 2021, 12:28:17 PM7/7/21
Hi Alexander

Is this the OpenLDBWS?  Technically it's not Darwin, but it's generally understood what you mean!

What are the requests you're sending in?  Can you send an example here, minus any tokens?

Peter Hicks
Director
OpenTrainTimes Ltd.

OpenTrainTimes Ltd. registered in England and Wales, company no. 09504022.
Registered office: Suite 1-3, Hop Exchange, 24 Southwark Street, London SE1 1TY

Alexander MacLeod

Jul 7, 2021, 1:12:24 PM7/7/21
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I am referring to the staff version of the NRE Darwin Web Service. The issue started about an hour or so ago although a similar problem has come up before. I have not received errors from endpoints other than GetDepartureBoardByCRSRequest. As mentioned earlier, the issue is intermittent and the request often returns a successful response after a few retries.

<soap:Envelope
<soap:Header>
<typ:AccessToken>
<typ:TokenValue>XXXXX</typ:TokenValue>
</typ:AccessToken>
</soap:Header>
<soap:Body>
<ldb:GetDepartureBoardByCRSRequest>
<ldb:numRows>150</ldb:numRows>
<ldb:crs>EDB</ldb:crs>
<ldb:time>2021-07-07T17:56:13.1870000+01:00</ldb:time>
<ldb:timeWindow>120</ldb:timeWindow>
<ldb:services>PBS</ldb:services>
<ldb:getNonPassengerServices>false</ldb:getNonPassengerServices>
</ldb:GetDepartureBoardByCRSRequest>
</soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Alexander MacLeod

Jul 21, 2021, 10:58:14 AM7/21/21
Hi Peter,

I am experiencing the same issue sporadically today. Would you be able to investigate this issue further? Is it possible that the error could be down to rate limiting?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

RailAleFan

Jul 21, 2021, 11:32:35 AM7/21/21
Also seeing intermittent "Unexpected Server Error" response from both web services at this time.

From my experience; the rate limiter is all or nothing - once you trigger it that's it for the day apologies I can't recall whether it is an HTTP or SOAP error that is returned, pretty sure it's an HTTP error status response....

On Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 3:58:14 PM UTC+1 Alexander MacLeod wrote:
Hi Peter,

Peter Hicks

Jul 21, 2021, 11:38:26 AM7/21/21
I wonder - have you looked at the HTTP headers in the data you get back?  Is there something that identifies a particular server in a cluster that might be at fault here?

Peter Hicks
Director
OpenTrainTimes Ltd.

RailAleFan

Jul 21, 2021, 11:52:37 AM7/21/21
Hi Peter,

Just had a look, there is an X-Server header and after a few queries have received both OK and error responses from 2 separate IP addresses (/.31 and /.113) so doesn't appear to be an individual server in the cluster at fault...

Cheers

Rail Delivery Group

Jul 21, 2021, 12:29:11 PM7/21/21
FYI I've forwarded this on to the Darwin Service Delivery Manager so he can raise with the supplier...

Alexander MacLeod

Aug 4, 2021, 2:50:14 AM8/4/21
Currently experiencing the same issue again this morning. First error reported around 07:12am. Has any progress been made looking into this issue?

Alexander MacLeod

Aug 20, 2021, 12:27:39 PM8/20/21
Unfortunately, we are experiencing the same issue again. This is now the third day in a row that this has happened. The failures seem to start around 5pm each day which makes me think that it may be related to peak API use. Please can this issue be looked at? Many thanks in advance.