Re: [openraildata-talk] Costs data

Gaelan Steele

May 1, 2024, 9:43:24 AMMay 1
to 'Adam Stead' via A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Your best bet is probably the National Rail fares data, documented here: https://wiki.openraildata.com/index.php?title=Fares_Data

Unfortunately this data is somewhat tricky to interpret, largely owing to the complexity of the underlying fares system. In particular, you’ll have to do some filtering of unusual ticket types, which no simple way (that I’ve found) to avoid all of them in one go. This is the data shown by brfares.com, which should give you a good sense of roughly what you’ll get.

Also, to my knowledge, there is no open data feed providing advance fare availability. That is, the fares data linked above will tell you that non-railcard standard class advance LNER tickets from London to Edinburgh can be sold for £22.50, £30, £32.80, £35.50, £36.90, £39.30, £42.20, £46.30, £48.50, £52.30, £56.10, £59, £62.50, £66.50, £69.30, £73, £79.60, £84, £87.90, £96.80, £106.70, £119, £125.70, £135.10, £142.80, £152.90, £162.90, or £175.70 (phew!). But no open data source will tell you which of those prices is currently available (or how many tickets at each price were ever available) for the 09:00 London to Edinburgh train on May 10.

Gaelan

On May 1, 2024, at 1:23 PM, 'Scott' via A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community <openrail...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi, I'm looking to pull in ticket cost data via any of the API's. I gather I need to use the OJP data feeds, but which one? Is it the Real Time Journey Planner, the Disruptions Webservice or the What can I do with my ticket webserice - or do I need a combination of them all. My main goal is to be able to put in a journey and see the various price options for that ticket.

Thanks!

Ian Sargent

May 2, 2024, 4:07:13 AMMay 2
For advance purchase tickets, the number of tickets at each price level available on each train is set within the reservations services (RARS). Unless you have access to RARS you will not be able to see which tickets within the fares data can be sold for any one service.

Andrew Steele

May 2, 2024, 4:25:08 AMMay 2
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Scott,

The advice you have been given is correct, full details about how to connect at:

You need the RTJP API, this will provide journeys and available fares for each journey. The RTJP API feed integrates the RARS data that Ian mentions, so you don’t need a separate connection.

RDG will charge you for using the RTJP service. This is not Open Data.

Andrew Steele