Account deletion and reinstatement....

Graham trains.auld.me.uk

Jun 15, 2024, 12:58:19 PMJun 15
Hi - I've been a user of the network rail datafeeds for a few years - it runs a little site focussing on movements on the Basingstoke to Reading line for an idea of how long you'll be waiting at the level crossing.

Anyway, my connection the the feeds dropped last week but wasn't able to get going again.

I tried to login to the NTROD portal and eventually worked out my account had vanished - e-mailed support - I'd not logged in for 28 days on the portal so my account was deleted - feels a bit harsh when you're an active datafeeds connection.

Hey ho - generated a new account but can't login to the feeds - you used to have to activate your account on the portal but that seems to have vanished - any clues on how to get things up and running again? I raised a support ticket and am still waiting:(

Cheers
Graham

Peter Hicks

Jun 18, 2024, 7:14:16 AMJun 18
Hi Graham

The "haven't logged in for 28 days" thing is probably more of an issue now that the platform is much more stable than it used to be - but from memory, I think this affected Stomp clients rather than OpenWire clients, or vice versa.  One way around it is to just make an API call to see what the latest timetable is every week or so.

Are you still having the issues right now?

Peter

Graham trains.auld.me.uk

Jun 22, 2024, 3:29:05 AM (11 days ago) Jun 22
Hi Peter,
Ah, I got the impression they were talking about the portal but perhaps other logins will keep things active. As you say, there used to be regular disconnections so plenty of logins - it's a bit odd though that an open connection doesn't keep your account active.

Here's exactly what I got from support

"Once any account is activated there is a requirement to log in to the account via the portal once every 28 days or the account will become deactivated and require re-creation. This is a requirement that has always been there.

Our automated inactive account deletion process on the updated system had issues until recently, which was causing the platform to be overrun by inactive accounts preventing other users from creating an account.  That issue has now been rectified.  If you haven't logged into the portal itself in the past 28 days, this will most likely be why the account was deactivated/deleted."

It turns out my login issues after recreating the account was because there's no response difference between "no account" / "wrong password" / "too many failed attempts, you're blocked" so I just ended up on the blocked list that needed to time out. In the end it was quicker and easier to setup an account with a new email address then I had things up and running in no time.

I really hope system logins satisfy the requirement, I can't stir the enthusiasm to login to the portal every 28 days and the new login is slightly fancy making it non-trivial to have a script to do the job for me.

Graham