Steam Engine Data

Stephen Jenkins

Sep 15, 2022, 1:08:37 PM9/15/22
Hello,

I am new to this forum, nice to be here.

I am interested to know if I can extract any planned Steam Locomotive data that may be running on the rail network (as opposed to on heritage sites) from any of these feeds or reference data API's.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Evelyn Snow

Sep 16, 2022, 9:30:48 AM9/16/22
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Hello Stephen

I'd suggest using the network rail schedule for this information, there's a few
things you can use to infer whether a service is intended to be run by a
heritage train, though I'm not sure any are a hard and fast guarantees

- Some operating characteristic codes are specific to old models of trains.
These are often not set.
- The operator code is one of the various heritage railways or charter
operators (it may be ZZ, however, as is most freight)
- No operator code set (ZZ) but train has a category code which indicates it's
conveying passengers
- Train originates or terminates at locations which mark the boundaries of
heritage railways and aren't ordinarily used by other trains

https://wiki.openraildata.com/index.php?title=CIF_Codes
https://wiki.openraildata.com/index.php?title=SCHEDULE

There might be other indications, and it's possible I've made some mistakes
in these, others on the list will be more familiar with this than me

Evelyn