STANOX code to map location mapping

Matt King

Mar 27, 2024, 2:53:46 PMMar 27

Anyone got any tips on how to map a Stanox code from Trust to a map location? Either the general area (e.g Postal outcode) or the lat / long of the location?

Seems like a valid thing to try and do so hoping someone has tackled this before.

Cheers

Matt

Peter Hicks (Poggs)

Mar 27, 2024, 3:00:39 PMMar 27
Hi Matt

On 27 Mar 2024, at 18:53, Matt King <ma...@emeraldinsights.co.uk> wrote:

Anyone got any tips on how to map a Stanox code from Trust to a map location? Either the general area (e.g Postal outcode) or the lat / long of the location?

Seems like a valid thing to try and do so hoping someone has tackled this before.

There are various data sets where people have mapped TIPLOC/STANOX codes to latitude and longitudes, e.g. ’Tiplocs’ on https://railmap.azurewebsites.net/Downloads - but don’t try to get too precise otherwise you’ll be wrong.

Mapping that data to a general area/postcode is interesting though - I bet you could do that with OS Open Data without much difficulty.

Peter

Matthew Burdett

Mar 27, 2024, 3:00:55 PMMar 27
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Might have more success mapping stanox to tiploc, and then tiploc to coords with this:

It's been mentioned a few times that some of the coordinates are way out. Will probably need some fine tuning

Stanox I remember has same code for multiple tiplocs which is why it won't be as accurate.

Evelyn Snow

Mar 27, 2024, 3:04:46 PMMar 27
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

Might be worth explaining what you're looking to do here

Evelyn

Matt King

Mar 27, 2024, 3:20:33 PMMar 27
The stanox - tiploc to easting and northing - then to lat long might be a good way to go.

If anyone else has any advice please jump in.

Thanks

Matt

Matt King

Mar 27, 2024, 3:26:37 PMMar 27
Evelyn,

I thought I'd replied, but just in case.

I'm trying to map events from Trust into a BI tool such as Qlik, Power BI or Tableau based on it's location. Nothing too accurate, anything down to a general postal area for instance is fine, something to drive a map of the UK. Granular is good as long as I can group things back into regions, counties etc. But not essential.

Thanks

Matt

Matt King

Mar 27, 2024, 3:30:09 PMMar 27
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the prompt response!

Nothing too accurate, just something that will give me a mapping, a reference that'll be recognised by a BI tool such as Qlik, Power BI, Tableau etc...

Jacob Marron

Mar 27, 2024, 3:32:50 PMMar 27
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
I have partially done this as part of my project. OS has piece a software that converts northing/eastings into lat and long co-ords. So I've got those somewhere, may have to do some digging lol. Do keep in mind that not all the northing/eastings are valid. Because there was quite a few that didn't match up.

Mike Gill

Mar 29, 2024, 4:17:41 AMMar 29
to openrail...@googlegroups.com

Owen O'Neill

Mar 30, 2024, 6:55:04 AMMar 30
This was my attempt at solving / improving this problem. (includes stanox code)

So I've done a load of data washing and have created yet another TIPLOC geography database - aim was to create the most geographically accurate set that I could (without spending my entire life checking each record manually) https://github.com/oweno-tfwm/YA_Tiploc_List I don't know if this is useful, or just another iteration of the XKCD 'standards' comic strip ? Anyway, feedback is welcome, especially on the washing method I've used as described in the readme file.
many thanks
Owen

Alan Morrison

Apr 18, 2024, 3:24:21 AMApr 18
The attached CSV file takes Owen's combined TIPLOC dataset and supplements it with nearest railway and location detail:

  • Engineer's Line Reference (ELR)
  • Mileage (as text and number)
  • Country
  • Administrative Area
  • Nearest Populated Place
  • Distance from railway ELR / Mileage to TIPLOC position
The dataset has 15,392 rows, as locations out with mainland Britain (or Isle of Wight) have been removed. Columns beginning with "feature_" refer to the TIPLOC.

Alan
tiplocs_geofurlong_2024-04-18.csv