Schedule BS records - UID to Darwin RID

Scott Pritchard

Sep 5, 2021, 5:39:43 PM9/5/21
Evening all,

I've recently been working on parsing the schedule file (sourced from https://opendata.nationalrail.co.uk/api/staticfeeds/3.0/timetable).

I believe I've figured out most of the data I need from it, but I'm curious to know if it's possible to convert the UID into a Darwin RID.

For example, the following BS record from the MCA file:

BSNL100322105162112050000001 POO2V585754111819020 EMU333 100      S S          P

References the UID "L10032".

I know that the RID begins with the date (e.g. 202010905), and looks something like this:

202109057610032

As can be seen, this consists of the date, then 2 digits, and then the numerical characters of the UID (10032). However, is there any way of identifying where the digits 76 come from or what they relate to? Is it even possible to calculate an RID from the values in the schedule files and the date?

Looking around at the wiki as well as the data files, I can't seem to find what it relates to, or if it's just an ID that's not present in the schedule files. I'm aware that it's possible to look up services by their UID, but I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the logic behind what these 2 mystery digits mean.

Thanks,
Scott

Evelyn Snow

Sep 5, 2021, 6:12:56 PM9/5/21
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The 76 in this example represents the UID prefix "L" in ANSI-based text
encoding, which is at the 76th position. This behaviour is consistent across
all RIDs at present.

Evelyn