RDM Darwin

Evelyn Snow

May 10, 2024, 3:51:51 PMMay 10
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've noticed that Darwin is nominally now on the Rail Data Marketplace. A quick list of observations.

1. It doesn't appear to work. No credentials are visible, and I can't connect to the broker.
2. It's Kafka protocol only, no OpenWire or STOMP offering.
3. From the preview, it's only offered as schemaless JSON, no XML.
4. There's no new documentation specific to this JSON format.
5. Neither timetables nor reference data appear to be offered via the RDM.
6. This is v17, but the highest version offered through the push port is v16.

The final point is particularly concerning to me, since it suggests a lack of commitment to the
NRDP, despite the RDM offering a significantly degraded experience, and for only a subset of NRDP
feeds.

https://raildata.org.uk/dashboard/dataProduct/P-e8ab4178-93b7-4219-81a9-323eab3b12ba/overview

Evelyn

Gaelan Steele

May 10, 2024, 4:10:36 PMMay 10
to 'Adam Stead' via A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Also of note: the license is standard RDM boilerplate, with none
of the normal conditions associated with Darwin data. Potentially
opens up some interesting possibilities, at least if the actual
feed works!

Gaelan

Leon Byford

May 20, 2024, 11:44:33 AMMay 20
I received the following in an email from the RDM:

> Some users have identified a few issues and raised questions about the Darwin Real Time Train Information data product.
> We have taken the decision to temporarily suspend the data product whilst we resolve the issues raised.
> As soon as they are rectified we will re-instate the product and let you know.
> We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause but hope that in the longer term these actions will help all users who want to consume this data.

Evelyn Snow

May 20, 2024, 12:07:48 PMMay 20
to openrail...@googlegroups.com
Five million well spent! At least they haven't torpedoed the NRDP yet; what a mess.

Evelyn