Historical train running information

Shaun Rigby

Jul 31, 2021, 5:13:46 PM7/31/21
Good evening all,

Is there any source that allows me to access historical train running information?

I'm looking for data that is in the same format as the Opentraintimes (Peter, this website is AMAZING!)

Basically, I am doing a foundation degree in data analytics, and working in the railway, what better place with a world full of open, accessible data.

I know I could access current information through NetRail APIs and store this, however, this would require me to collect data over time before I can complete any analytics, therefore I am looking for running information for the last 12 (or so) months. Specifically looking for service head code, station name , WTT times and actual times.

There are websites such as Raildar, however I cannot download any of this information to perform any such statistical analysis so looking to see if there is any such service out there which will allow me to take a copy of the data.

Cheers!

Legolash2o

Aug 2, 2021, 7:13:32 AM8/2/21
I can adjust some code that I have an output something like:

Headcode, TRAINUID, Location, PlannedTime, ActualTime, Difference (other required columns).

Would you need things like cancellations and reasons?

Peter Hicks

Aug 2, 2021, 8:53:32 AM8/2/21
Hi Shaun

Have a read of https://groups.google.com/g/openraildata-talk/c/AmyfcjMEfs0/m/F5j6ZC0EAQAJ - I believe it's still running and that you can download a bunch of historical data from Darwin.

If you took the individual Push Port messages and processed them in reverse, ignoring any timing point where you had a second (earlier) actual report, you could probably speed through the data fairly quickly.

Another option is to make an FoI request to Network Rail for a year's worth of historical data from their PSS (Performance Systems Strategy) Data Warehouse.

Peter Hicks
Director
OpenTrainTimes Ltd.

OpenTrainTimes Ltd. registered in England and Wales, company no. 09504022.
Registered office: Suite 1-3, Hop Exchange, 24 Southwark Street, London SE1 1TY

Legolash2o

Aug 2, 2021, 9:04:47 AM8/2/21
You might want to try the FoI request as a last resort.

I originally put in a request to have a copy of a 10 year export they was doing for a large organisation, which was later reduced down to 3 years' worth of data due to it taking a lot longer than expected (not an individuals fault) but they still seem to be working on that. I've asked for an update though.

If I get hold the data (eventually), I'll definitely be sharing it.

Shaun Rigby

Aug 3, 2021, 3:48:34 AM8/3/21
Thanks both.

@Peter I will send a request to RDG for access

@legolash2o yes, they would be useful. Thanks so much if you are able to assist.

I work with a TOC so FOI may just be a case of raising a request internally as opposed to a public request.