NR Open Data Call - update

Peter Hicks (Poggs)

Jul 2, 2024, 8:43:04 AMJul 2
All,

We’ve just had a very positive and productive meeting with CACI regarding NROD. Particular highlights:

1. I’ve congratulated them on having a service that is now robust and stable - long may this continue!

2. AMQP and possibly MQTT will be going live on the platform in September. We are going to pull together (if it doesn’t exist) a matrix of programming languages and STOMP, OpenWire, AMQP and MQTT support.

3. Notifications for new CIF and schedule files being available will be coming soon - this means you will get a message when a new file is available, rather than having to poll the platform. I’ve asked if we can have a ‘sticky’ message on a new topic with the current data so that if you’re not connected when the message is sent, you’ll always be able to receive the latest notifications for each type of file.

4. Static datasets are (or will be) available on the Rail Data Marketplace soon, although the RDM doesn’t have a way to automatically download them via an API as yet. I’m discussing this with RDG.

5. The real-time feeds are going to be available through Apache Kafka on the RDM in the coming months. Again, I’ve spoken to RDG about the possibility of having other message queueing systems - however, an advantage of Kafka is that there will likely be a more-than-five-minute TTL on messages such that you can request historical data from earlier in the day. This will help people who are concerned about being able to survive a client-side outage of more than a few minutes.

Overall, things are positive - but it is very important that we keep having discussions here, in the open, so that we can use the power of the community to keep things great and help make them even better.

Peter

Peter Mount

Jul 2, 2024, 8:59:20 AMJul 2
to openrail...@googlegroups.com

Nice to see amqp being potentially supported, that could mean I could get rid of the, now old, bridge I currently have between open wire & amqp.

Evelyn Snow

Jul 2, 2024, 9:26:09 AMJul 2
to 'Peter Hicks (Poggs)' via A gathering place for the Open Rail Data community
Point 2 is excellent news for me, hopefully means I can retire my STOMP-AMQP bridge.

As far as a matrix goes, I don't think we'll have much choice but to write our own, but
a lot of the more painful work is already done.

Since the RDM seems to be here to stay, I wonder if it might be worth linking it on the
article on the main page of the wiki?

All around good news, thanks Peter!

Evelyn

Juhani Pirttilahti

Jul 4, 2024, 6:30:47 PMJul 4
Hi all,

Still looking for the general metadata such as stepping tables and serial signalling output (SOP) files to accompany the feeds.

My few cents only.

Juhani