Different keyboard behaviour between private and group text chat

dsl101

Oct 7, 2013, 10:07:04 AM10/7/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed that the way OQ handles the text chat windows is a bit inconsistent and potentially confusing for users, and wondering what the 'best' way to fix it up is.

I know that 'in-world' applications which capture keyboard events pop up the little keyboard icon to let users know their keystrokes are going somewhere and can't be used for moving. But the text chat seems to handle this differently:
  • Group text chat pops up the keyboard icon, but clicking on the icon doesn't remove keyboard focus from the group text window, and typing continues to go to that pane
  • Private text chat doesn't show the keyboard icon at all, and requires an explicit 'click' somewhere outside the chat pane.
I think that they should at least do the same thing, and I suspect the Group text chat is closest to ideal (i.e. use the keyboard icon as for in-world apps) - except that it doesn't seem to work at the moment.

Any thoughts for where this needs fixing? I tried to follow the complex startActivity / stopActivity message threads, but I wasn't sure what else was needed to actually remove focus from the text chat window