Current priorities for OpenQwaq development and source code contribution?

Nikolay Suslov

Jan 11, 2013, 10:31:09 AM1/11/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

What is about to discuss the current priorities for OpenQwaq development?
I suggest to start with proposing the development roadmap.
Here is the draft list of the base tasks and features, in which the OpenQwaq project could evolve, I think.

1. Source code contributing

Need to choose the main repository for contributing the new code, share ideas and projects.

use existing ones?

register project for the new home?
http://ss3.gemstone.com/, as SqueakSource.com is moving there
- Smalltalk Hub (http://smalltalkhub.com)
- GitHub with filetree (https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree

2. Update the core

Currently OpenQwaq is Squeak 4.1 image based

- move to the latest Squeak 4.4
- have 64 bit image alongside 32 bit version
- update Python bridge plugin to the latest Python interpreter, to support the newest libraries

3. Web-browser support (aka Forum Pages)

- Seaside integration (inside one base image or separately by using REST and WebSockets)
- Virtual World Framework integration as connected world (http://virtualworldframework.com)

4. Mobility and NoSQL DB support

- have more flexible <local> mode, allowing working more then two users at a time
- have more adaptors for CouchDB or RIAK, SQLight, XML file based DB.. (not just MySQL)

5. Distributed storage

- move from filesystem based storage of service's data to platform independent distributed database storage (like CouchDB)

5. Modern user interfaces (HUI)

- support of Microsoft Kinect (through FFI as plugin or OSC)

6. Localization

- use GetText or other general solution for localization process of user interfaces

..

Please, share your opinion and insights.
Thanks.

-
Nikolay Suslov

Eugen Leitl

Jan 11, 2013, 11:04:38 AM1/11/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 07:31:09AM -0800, Nikolay Suslov wrote:

> Please, share your opinion and insights.
> Thanks.

I would seriously look into supporting Oculus Rift and other
head trackers.

The $300 dev kit is promised for April 2013
https://www.oculusvr.com/pre-order/

Nikolay Suslov

Jan 11, 2013, 4:29:08 PM1/11/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that would be a great feature to implement.
Actually, I start that discussion in proposing closer and feasible community based development roadmap, on which everybody here could start contributing, evolving the project by selecting and getting own part for development. So that's not a list of feature requests for OpenQwaq official maintainers (I mean 3DICC) or somebody else, but a list of tasks, that current community could take by itself just from now. Of course it would be great, if community's development roadmap will match the mainstream project direction.

Regards,
Nikolay

Enrico Spinielli

Jan 12, 2013, 8:19:35 AM1/12/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
I always enjoyed Croquet, OpenQwaq would be the natural evolution (given OpenCobalt's status)
especially with the Python plugin...
Reviving its development in order to get more traction from the others relatives (Squeak, Pharo, OpenCobalt?, ...) would be super great.

From a recent Squeak thread, I see there are some license issues to overcome, mainly for taking OQ code to Squeak: but, hey, contributions should be bi-directional!-)

I would personally wholeheartedly support 2. and 3. especially VWF integration.

Thanks for triggering this thread.
Bye
Enrico