OpenQuake Fault Realization

Nima Dolatabadi

Jun 16, 2021, 12:24:01 AM6/16/21
to OpenQuake Users
Hello all,
we know that sources can be defined in different formats, but as input they get a nodal plane as one for area source and two for Fault base Hazard assessment.
The input is "STRIKE, DIP, RAKE"
The Question is that how does openquake determine if a fault is Nomal, Reverse or Strike-Slip. I'm having a geological bakcground and know abaut focal mechanism but having a fault data like strike, dip, and rake is not enough to evaluate the Mechanism of a fault. Though two nodal plane without knowing the PTB axis which can define the compression and dilation area, is not enough for fault mechanism estimation.
1- Does openquake consider the fault type?
2- How does openquake consider Faulting Dip Direction? we know that Dipping has a direction, for example it is: 60 NE or simply 60E. so without considering the direction of dipping how does openquake defined the direction to calculates the Hazard Module.
Great Regards

Marco Pagani

Jun 16, 2021, 5:04:56 AM6/16/21
to OpenQuake Users

The rupture mechanism (normal, reverse etc.) is defined using rake. The strike (and the dip) is defined using the right hand rule.
See OQ manual (page 29, 33)

MARCO PAGANI | Seismic Hazard Team Lead | Skype mm.pagani | +39-0382-5169863
GLOBAL EARTHQUAKE MODEL | working together to assess risk