Hello,
I’m running a PSHA for a site in North British Columbia, using both OpenQuake 3.11 and 3.23. I have observed that in the disaggregation:
- in v3.11 all percent‐contribution bars appear at short distances (< 200 km).
- in v3.23 I see additional small bars at ~600–700 km and even farther.
After this I forced v3.23 to run a single realization (num_rlzs_disagg=1) and confirmed that its output matches v3.11, verifying that v3.11 was simply disaggregating one “closest-to-mean” logic-tree leaf. From this, I deduce:
v3.11’s disaggregation picks the single realization whose hazard curve is closest to the mean hazard curve. Because crustal sources at < 200 km dominate the mean curve, that realization is always crustal, so subduction/craton sources at > 600 km never appear.
v3.23’s default disaggregation sums over all realizations , weighted by logic-tree probability. Hence, even ∼5 %-weight of the Queen Charlotte and Haida Gwaii Thrust or other distal sources could show up as small bars.
My questions are:
Is the behavior I see in v3.23 (small ∼3–5 % bars at ∼600 km) fully expected for a Canadian logic‐tree or if there's something that I might be missing causing an error in my results?
When one realization is chosen (v3.11 or v3.23 with num_rlzs_disagg=1), that realization is “closest to mean.” Is there ever a case where a subduction branch could win that “closest to mean” test? In other words, under what conditions (logic-tree weights or site location) might a subduction branch actually end up being the “closest‐to‐mean” realization?
Thank you in advance for any further insights!

I did an additional research to try to explain the difference in the seismic hazard provided OpenQuake 3.20+ and the seismic hazard calculator for the NBCC 2020.
What I found is that OpenQuake 3.19 and 3.20+ give the similar hazard curves. The problem is with the mean curve. It seems that OpenQuake 3.20+ no longer considers generic weights when an IMT-specific entry is absent.
To correct this problem for the Canada SHM6, you can change the .xml file where the weights are defined. The CanadaSHM6-GMM-LT_AA13_explicit_IMT_weights.xml is a modification of the official .xml file. The weights have not been changed, but explicit values have been added to get the results OpenQuake 3.19 gives.
I tested the file for the city of Montreal (eastern Canada), since published seismic hazard and disaggregation values are available, and OpenQuake 3.26.2 produced the correct results. I didn’t do any testing for western Canada.