GMPEs

Anooshiravan Ansari

Jan 23, 2014, 2:42:35 AM1/23/14
to openqu...@googlegroups.com
Dear OQ developers
Regarding using different GMPEs, I have several questions:
1) is there any new GMPE available in OQ library (more that those mentioned in Appendix A of OQ user manual)?
2) How it is possible to add new GMPE to the library of OQ?
As we have a meeting with Laurentiu Danciu in Istanbul, he said that it is necessary to provide a file of GMPE and send it to the developers for adding it to the library. If possible, I want to know the procedure of adding a new GMPE to the library.
3) It is possible for me to write the function of desired GMPE in python. For research purposes, I want to use such GMPEs with OQ. So, is there any instruction for using user-defined GMPE in OQ?
Best regards,

--
A. Ansari
Assistant Professor

Damiano Monelli

Jan 23, 2014, 3:12:09 AM1/23/14
to openqu...@googlegroups.com
Dear Anooshiravan,

the list of GMPEs as described in appendix A is outdated. You can find a list of the currently available GMPEs

If you can implement your own GMPE in python and you want to use it with OQ, then my suggestion would be
and add your own implementation in the openquake.hazardlib.gsim module (where all the other GMPEs are also located). Once you have
a working GMPE there, you will be able to call it from OQ. If you wish to contribute your GMPE to the master oq-hazardlib (so that the whole OQ
community may benefit from it) then you can make a pull request (info here: https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo).

If you want to request the implementation of a GMPE then I would suggest you to submit a 'bug' to the oq-hazardlib bug tracker: https://launchpad.net/oq-hazardlib
(Get Involved -> Report a bug). When you are reporting the bug please indicate in which publication/report the GMPE has been described, and more importantly
add verification tables. That is data tables (provided by original authors or by alternative software implementations) that can be used to check the implementation.
Test tables basically provide median and standard deviation values for a variety of predictor variables combination. In OQ every GMPE is tested against
one or more tests tables. The core dev team will review your bug and if there is the possibility we (or someone else in the community) will try to implement it.

Hope it helps,

Damiano