EQUATE not compliant w/ documentation

Gary D

May 27, 2009, 11:14:59 AM5/27/09
to OpenQM-OpenSource
Hi!

I am new to OpenQM and just starting to get my feet wet. Hopefully I
can contribute to this group and to OpenQM in general without being
TOO much of a pain. I have a rather large set of application programs
that I am thinking about porting to OpenQM. I'm trying to minimize
the code I have to rewrite. To this end, I'm trying to EQUATE some
data names that exist in my source code to equivalent dynamic array
references in OpenQM. Here is a specific example:

EQUATE TRLESSOR.NAME TO TRLESSOR.R<2>

It appears to me that this is syntactically correct but yet returns
error 2831, "Unrecognised statement".
Can anyone here shed any light on why this won't compile?

(BTW, I'm assuming there is a typo in the docs, because the docs say:

EQUATE name TO dyn.array(field {, value {, subvalue}}>

which would require me to say:

EQUATE TRLESSOR.NAME TO TRLESSOR.R(2>

which simply looks goofy.)

Thanks in advance,
Gary Walborn
gwal...@gmail.com

Martin Phillips

May 27, 2009, 11:27:44 AM5/27/09
to openqm-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gary,

> I'm trying to EQUATE some data names that exist in my source
> code to equivalent dynamic array references in OpenQM.
> Here is a specific example:
>
> EQUATE TRLESSOR.NAME TO TRLESSOR.R<2>
>
> It appears to me that this is syntactically correct but yet returns
> error 2831, "Unrecognised statement".
> Can anyone here shed any light on why this won't compile?

This should work ok. I have actually just tested this exact statement in a
program here.

Is line 2831 this equate statement or some use of it?

Is TRLESSOR.R itself an equated token?

> (BTW, I'm assuming there is a typo in the docs, because the docs say:
>
> EQUATE name TO dyn.array(field {, value {, subvalue}}>
>
> which would require me to say:
>
> EQUATE TRLESSOR.NAME TO TRLESSOR.R(2>

Whoops! This is indeed a typo and has been fixed for the next release (this
week if all goes to plan).

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems Ltd
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton, NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200

Message has been deleted

Gene Buckle

May 27, 2009, 11:35:22 AM5/27/09
to OpenQM-OpenSource
On Wed, 27 May 2009, Gary D wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am new to OpenQM and just starting to get my feet wet. Hopefully I

Welcome to the Zoo Gary!

> EQUATE TRLESSOR.NAME TO TRLESSOR.R<2>
>
> It appears to me that this is syntactically correct but yet returns
> error 2831, "Unrecognised statement".
> Can anyone here shed any light on why this won't compile?
>
> (BTW, I'm assuming there is a typo in the docs, because the docs say:
>
> EQUATE name TO dyn.array(field {, value {, subvalue}}>

As far as I know, EQU/EQUATE doesn't work with dynamic arrays, only static
arrays such as the result of a MATREAD.

I checked my D3 documentation and it only specifies static array
parameters. I checked with a little example to make sure:

0001 x = ""
0002 x<1> = "a"
0003 equate foo = x<1>
0004 crt foo

Line #3 generates a compile error under D3 as well as OpenQM/SDME

I strongly suspect that the documentation is in error.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

Wally

May 27, 2009, 11:38:50 AM5/27/09
to OpenQM-OpenSource
Martin,

2831 is the message number used by sysmsg and does not refer to my
source

TRLESSOR.R is NOT itself an equated token

I am using OpenQM Rev 2.6-6 (the GPLd version)

The "equates" are in an include file

Gary

P.S. Please ignore the fact that I changed my "nickname" in the forum,
I probably misread the question when I filled out my profile.

On May 27, 11:27 am, "Martin Phillips" <martinphill...@ladybridge.com>

Gene Buckle

May 27, 2009, 11:40:53 AM5/27/09
On Wed, 27 May 2009, Martin Phillips wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
>> I'm trying to EQUATE some data names that exist in my source
>> code to equivalent dynamic array references in OpenQM.
>> Here is a specific example:
>>
>> EQUATE TRLESSOR.NAME TO TRLESSOR.R<2>
>>
>> It appears to me that this is syntactically correct but yet returns
>> error 2831, "Unrecognised statement".
>> Can anyone here shed any light on why this won't compile?
>
> This should work ok. I have actually just tested this exact statement in a
> program here.

It might work ok under the version you're using, but under 2.6-6 it
generates a compiler error.

1 * test of EQUATE
2
3
4 foo = ""
5 foo<1> = "a"
6 foo<2> = "b"
7 foo<1,3> = "c"
8
9 dim bar(2)
10 bar(1) = "x"
11 bar(2) = "y"
12
13 equate test.a to foo<1>
14 equate test.b to bar(1)
15
16 display "test.a ":test.a
17 display "test.b ":test.b
18
19 end
20
21

The following program generates a compile error on line 13:
Compiling BP TEST
*
13: Unrecognised statement
*
1 error(s)
Compiled 1 program(s) with errors in:
TEST

(and in my D3 test program, I mistakenly used a "=" instead of "TO", but
the compile still fails when it's corrected)

What version were you checking that example against Martin?

Martin Phillips

May 27, 2009, 12:06:49 PM5/27/09
to openqm-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gene,

> It might work ok under the version you're using, but under 2.6-6 it
> generates a compiler error.

It is probably one of the things fixed in the complete rework of equate
tokens in 2.6-10.

Wally

Jun 6, 2009, 11:29:04 PM6/6/09
to OpenQM-OpenSource
Are the changes from 2.6-10 going into the OpenSource code? I took a
look at the compiler and I see why a real rewrite of "equate"s would
be required. I'd attempt this, but don't want to duplicate effort. I
haven't quite finished with the Xterm full screen debugger. If the
"equate"s fix is not on the horizon, I'll dig into that next.

Gary

On May 27, 12:06 pm, "Martin Phillips" <martinphill...@ladybridge.com>

Gene Buckle

Jun 6, 2009, 11:46:59 PM6/6/09
to OpenQM-OpenSource
> Are the changes from 2.6-10 going into the OpenSource code? I took a
> look at the compiler and I see why a real rewrite of "equate"s would
> be required. I'd attempt this, but don't want to duplicate effort. I
> haven't quite finished with the Xterm full screen debugger. If the
> "equate"s fix is not on the horizon, I'll dig into that next.

Go for it Gary! It's my understanding that there will be no more GPL
releases past the 2.6-6 codebase.

Wally

Jun 8, 2009, 4:29:26 PM6/8/09
to OpenQM-OpenSource
Gene (et al),

I have modified the compiler to accept the missing EQUATE
statement. I have tested it on a variety of cases with good results.
How do I go about submitting this code for inclusion?

Gary

On Jun 6, 11:46 pm, Gene Buckle <ge...@deltasoft.com> wrote:
> > Are the changes from 2.6-10 going into the OpenSource code?  I took a
> > look at the compiler and I see why a real rewrite of "equate"s would
> > be required.  I'd attempt this, but don't want to duplicate effort.  I
> > haven't quite finished with the Xterm full screen debugger.  If the
> > "equate"s fix is not on the horizon, I'll dig into that next.
>
> Go for it Gary!  It's my understanding that there will be no more GPL
> releases past the 2.6-6 codebase.
>
> g.
>
> --
> Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007http://www.f15sim.com- The only one of its kind.

Steve Bush

Jun 8, 2009, 4:44:41 PM6/8/09
to openqm-o...@googlegroups.com
Very impressive Gary! :)

To get a username and password do the following:
http://gpl.openqm.com/wiki/HOWTO#Acquiring_rights_to_commit

I'm guessing that you know how to handle subversion otherwise see this.
http://gpl.openqm.com/wiki/HOWTO#Command_Line_User_Interface

Cheers, Steve Bush

Wally

Jun 11, 2009, 7:30:58 AM6/11/09
to OpenQM-OpenSource
I've submitted the fix for this to workdevbranch1... :-)

Gary